- 0
FED set position--What is everyone doing?
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3016 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question
aaluck
FED QUESTION ONLY. Okay, wish I had a video of this but was behind the plate and not a good idea to shoot video while umping!! 19U "showcase" playing under FED rules.
Pitcher is in the "set" position. (ONLY TALKING/ASKING ABOUT NO RUNNERS ON BASE). Pivot foot in front of, and parallel to, the rubber. Free foot is toward home plate, about 2 feet in front of pivot foot--same direction (parallel to pivot foot) toward home. Pitcher steps on the rubber (in this position) with hands together, and goes into a "windup" (by that I just mean long, exaggerated motion) whereby he breaks his hands and then back together and throws to the batter. He does not ever set, other than he is already "set" with his hands together when he gets on the rubber.
I'm obviously relying on 6.1.3 of the fed as follows:
“For the set position, the pitcher shall have the ball in either his gloved hand or his pitching hand. His pitching hand shall be down at his side or behind his back. Before starting his delivery, he shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitcher’s plate and with his entire pivot foot in contact with or directly in front of and parallel to the pitcher’s plate. He shall go to the set position without interruption and in one continuous motion. He shall come to a complete and discernible stop (a change of direction is not considered an acceptable stop) with the ball in both hands in front of the body and his glove at or below his chin”
In my case all of the underlined are violated with what he is doing.
Does anyone bother to call an illegal pitch, correct the pitcher, simply not say anything? The reason I ask is I talked to the coach about it he said, not only has he done it in the pervious 9 games of the weekend tournament but also does it in high school and no one has ever said a word.
Top Posters For This Question
3
2
2
1
Popular Days
Jun 25
7
Jun 26
3
Top Posters For This Question
aaluck 3 posts
Replacematt 2 posts
Richvee 2 posts
Catch18 1 post
Popular Days
Jun 25 2018
7 posts
Jun 26 2018
3 posts
Popular Posts
Richvee
Sounds illegal for FED, and I would be putting a stop to it in a high school game. In a showcase, I'm leaving it alone. 19u. Sounds like graduating seniors. They're next level won't be worrtying about
Replacematt
I should have been more clear. I correct this during warmups. However, I agree with Rich's advice. I do showcases on occasion and I will make mention of something that would be illegal in NCAA, b
Kevin_K
If the situation is a showcase, no one is there to see an umpire be an OOO. While some here may disagree with not enforcing FED standards, it may harm the umpire's chances to continue to work tha
9 answers to this question
Recommended Posts