Batter interference at home plate

Nic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2144 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Curious if i interpreted the rule correctly here. 

10U OBR 

Right handed batter. 1 out. Wild pitch. R3 attempts to score. Ball bounces at a 45 degree angle back behind the RH batter's box. 

Catcher scrambles and makes a nice play to slide and gather the ball, firing to the pitcher covering the plate.

Batter vacates box but only by taking two steps back, and as a result, towards the action.

Sure enough catcher's thrown ball strikes the batter in the back. Run slides across the plate.

I ruled batter interference and called the runner out because there was one out at the time of the play. 

OHC argues it was unintentional interference. 

I countered by saying he was in a DIRECT line between the catcher and pitcher covering. Intent doesn't matter in this case. The batter made no effort to get out of the play, which he had ability to had he had a better awareness. 

it was so egregious.... Catcher also had a good chance of retiring the runner had he been allowed to carry through with the play. 

Did I interpret this rule correctly? I have read senor azuls work on the subject. But want to be 100% sure in this case I'm right.  

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Nic said:

I ruled batter interference and called the runner out because there was one out at the time of the play. 

If there was in fact INT, this is the correct penalty, with R3 stealing.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

The batter made no effort to get out of the play... 

He didn't? What about this:

2 hours ago, Nic said:

Batter vacates box but only by taking two steps back

I know the pro rule (which makes the batter's effort moot, BTW), but I would not interpret it so strictly at instructional levels. The defense screwed up first by putting the ball on the ground and giving R3 a chance to score. The batter did his part by vacating the plate area. At 10U I doubt the batter is putting himself in the line of the throw.

I say play the bounce, no INT. If I saw video, I might have a different conclusion, but that's how it sounds from your account.

• Thanks 1

This sounds like a clip that was posted some time ago (or maybe I'm remembering from youtube) from the LLWS....I'm going to disagree with my OH colleague as well, which is rare. The batter made a movement that interfered with the play. He didn't mean to, but he chose...poorly. It does kinda suck, especially at that age, but...

• Thanks 1