VolUmp

Pitcher Loses Hat on almost every pitch

FED Game.

Pitcher’s hat falls off his head 5 pitches in a row. 

What rule and/or casebook reference do we have at our disposal to stop this distraction?  

If F1 either cannot or does not comply with getting a hat that fits, what options of consequence do we have? 

4 hours ago, VolUmp said:

What rule and/or casebook reference do we have at our disposal to stop this distraction?  

10.2.3 SITUATION C: F1’s cap frequently falls off his head and in the umpire’s judgment, it is either distracting to the batter or delaying the game.

RULING: The umpire shall instruct the defensive team’s coach that F1’s cap must be secured. If this situation is not corrected, F1 will be removed as pitcher.

5 hours ago, VolUmp said:

FED Game.

Pitcher’s hat falls off his head 5 pitches in a row. 

If F1 either cannot or does not comply with getting a hat that fits, what options of consequence do we have? 

Is anyone complaining?  If not let it go.

Reference: Jim Bouton.

2 notes on that case play:

1. It offers no guidance regarding what should count as "distracting." My recommendation: don't pick boogers. Ignore it until you can't.
  2. "F1 will be removed as pitcher": 1-4-1 requires him to wear a cap, but he cannot wear distracting gear (uniform or equipment). Thus, until he can rectify the cap situation, he cannot participate. Note that he is NOT ejected for this.

OK.  Thanks.  

I just missed the Casebook ref.  I remember our local association making this a POE about 8-10 years ago and I thought it even appeared in the Rules Book.

Maven ....our Association would never create a POE on this unless opposing coaches complained often during the prior year.

I had this happen last season. Pitchers is warming up. Throws three pitches and hat falls off twice. Go to D coach and I ask if this is going to be a problem. He asks what I'm talking about. I say watch your pitcher. Throws three more and hat falls off every time. I tell him that's 5/6. Coach made him put on another. 

This coach would have been the first complaining if it was the opposing pitcher.  

If his hat isn't coming off during warm ups, it better not be coming off during play!