Scoring question

Guest coach99
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2514 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest coach99

Runner on first.  Hard hit ball to third baseman.  Ball skips up off chest and lands in front of third baseman.  Third baseman picks up ball and throws to second and gets girl out, since she rounded second and then had to dive back to second on the throw.  Is this still scored an error since the lead runner was gotten out?  if the answer is yes, would it have made a difference if the bobbled ball was thrown to second and the runner out by force before reaching the bag?

My understanding is that bobbling a ball and still making the throw and getting the force out should NOT be ruled an error... I believe that is correct, but not sure if the situation above where the runner reached the base and was out diving back to it once runner saw third base had control of the ball is scored differently.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

My guess. E5 allows runner to reach 2B. Runner out trying to advance. The real good question is, now,if the batter runner who's now on 1B, comes around and scores with 2outs, is it earned? I think it would be earned, since if you re construct the inning without the error, there would still be a runner on 1B.

I believe say if a runner is about to get a triple and is tagged out overrunning the base it would only be scored as a double and a putout, not a triple. Using the same logic, there would be no error here as there was an out recorded at second. I think this would just be a fielders choice, 5-4. 

6 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

I believe say if a runner is about to get a triple and is tagged out overrunning the base it would only be scored as a double and a putout, not a triple. Using the same logic, there would be no error here as there was an out recorded at second. I think this would just be a fielders choice, 5-4. 

The more I think about it, the more this sounds right.

It's a fielder's choice.  It would be no different if F5 had bobbled the ball (or fielded it cleanly) and threw the ball home to get R3 at the plate.   She got an out on the play - doesn't matter that her bobble of the batted ball resulted in her getting a different out.

Either way, it's an "o-for" for the batter.