Funny F2

umpire_scott
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2111 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Doing a 13U AAA game today.  AAA is supposed to be the top talent but it sure didn't look like it.  First inning pitch comes in about 6 inches above the top of the zone.  F2 barely gets his mitt on it as it plunks me square in the mask and bounds out in front of home plate.  I'm a little annoyed of course.  After throwing the ball back to F1 he addresses me.  I'm expecting "sorry about that won't happen again".  Instead he asks me if it was a strike or a ball.  I just laughed.  I so wanted to say "A ball.  The same thing every close pitch is going to be if you keep letting me get hit".

Had an F2 last week had to stand up and reach as high as he could to pull down a pitch. He goes "how close was it?" I said "missed by half an inch!"

Sounds like he was cereal about this.

Had an F2 last week had to stand up and reach as high as he could to pull down a pitch. He goes "how close was it?" I said "missed by half an inch!"

Sounds like he was cereal about this.

Super cereal

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I worked a 12U game and got hit by 4 pitches in 1inning ...the top of the 1st inning...3 of which F2 never touched. I said, "C'mon, man! You gotta catch these pitches!"...loud enough that his coach could hear me. F2 looks at me and says, "You do your job and let me do mine." It took everything I had not to start laughing at him. Instead, I replied, "Young man, if you were doing your job, the umpire standing behind you wouldn't have gotten hit by 4 pitches this inning."

Praises to his coach, though. A new F2 came out for the 2nd inning. Smooth as silk after that. The coach did tell me post game that it was the starting F2's first time ever catching.

It didn't make the bruises any less sore...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UmpJeff said:

I worked a 12U game and got hit by 4 pitches in 1inning ...the top of the 1st inning...3 of which F2 never touched. I said, "C'mon, man! You gotta catch these pitches!"...loud enough that his coach could hear me. F2 looks at me and says, "You do your job and let me do mine." It took everything I had not to start laughing at him. Instead, I replied, "Young man, if you were doing your job, the umpire standing behind you wouldn't have gotten hit by 4 pitches this inning."

Praises to his coach, though. A new F2 came out for the 2nd inning. Smooth as silk after that. The coach did tell me post game that it was the starting F2's first time ever catching.

It didn't make the bruises any less sore...

I 12-year old told an umpire "you do your job and I'll do mine?".  That 12-year old's "job" would have been sitting on the bench and running wind sprints until he puked if I were his coach.

• Like 3

Doing a 19U consolation game yesterday.  Bottom of the 5th VT winning 8-0, R3 with 2 outs (there is an 8 run mercy rule after 5 innings).  Pitch comes in high and tight.  F2 doesn't even get a glove on it.  Hits me square on the shoulder.  Luckily it was right where my hard plastic is.  Didn't really hurt at all.  What hurt way worse was the ball ricocheting off me towards the third base dugout and R3 coming home to extend the game.  We played the full 7 innings after that.   

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On July 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM, umpire_scott said:

Doing a 19U consolation game yesterday.  Bottom of the 5th VT winning 8-0, R3 with 2 outs (there is an 8 run mercy rule after 5 innings).  Pitch comes in high and tight.  F2 doesn't even get a glove on it.  Hits me square on the shoulder.  Luckily it was right where my hard plastic is.  Didn't really hurt at all.  What hurt way worse was the ball ricocheting off me towards the third base dugout and R3 coming home to extend the game.  We played the full 7 innings after that.   

Hate when that happens.

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2016 at 7:30 AM, umpire_scott said:

That 12-year old's "job" would have been sitting on the bench and running wind sprints until he puked if I were his coach.

A melting snowflake? I doubt it... no way some 12 year old kids Mom would let you try and teach that kid the old fashioned way.

You would be better off sending a memo...