Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3837 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

My partner asked me tonight what the call would be if a thrown ball gets away from a fielder and contacts a player who is outside of the dugout, but not authorized to be.

I felt stumped. I thought I should know this one. So I got home and looked through the rule and case books, but can't find anything but I swear I've seen something on it before. The I started wondering if it made any difference it the thrown ball touched a player on the offense or defense.

I know there's a rule about players prohibited from being outside the dugout for unauthorized reasons, and they should be warned. However, if the ump doesn't see it and an errant throw hits one of them, then what?

Posted
My partner asked me tonight what the call would be if a thrown ball gets away from a fielder and contacts a player who is outside of the dugout, but not authorized to be.

I felt stumped. I thought I should know this one. So I got home and looked through the rule and case books, but can't find anything but I swear I've seen something on it before. The I started wondering if it made any difference it the thrown ball touched a player on the offense or defense.

I know there's a rule about players prohibited from being outside the dugout for unauthorized reasons, and they should be warned. However, if the ump doesn't see it and an errant throw hits one of them, then what?

Contact doesn't necessarily mean INT... Did the contact hinder the defenses ability to play on a runner?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Posted

5 possibilities:
1. ball hits an offensive player, but it benefits the defense...no penalty for assisting the opponent.
2. ball hits an offensive player and benefits the offense, that's interference by a teammate.
3. ball hits a defensive player but it benefits the offense...no penalty for assisting the opponent.
4. ball hits a defensive player and benefits the defense, that's interference by a teammate.
5. no impact on further play...that's nothing

Take your time figuring this out, but do it quickly :lol:

  • Like 1
Posted

4. ball hits a defensive player and benefits the defense, that's interference by a teammate.

And the penalty for that one would be...?

I vote for take an out off the board (it's not my game haha)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Posted
32 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

And the penalty for that one would be...?

I vote for take an out off the board (it's not my game haha)

Although your solution has a certain appeal, we properly kill it and award bases, god-style.

For FED, issue a team warning about being in LBT during play.

Posted
Although your solution has a certain appeal, we properly kill it and award bases, god-style.

For FED, issue a team warning about being in LBT during play.

I know I know... Apply 10-2-3-9-7-4, part c, subsection LL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

×
×
  • Create New...