Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4088 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Last night I was working with @Richvee in a NJ Section LL game. 4 man crew and I was PU. We had a two hour rain/lightning delay,but finally got the game done after about 3 1/2 hours.

I had a play at the plate that made me smile because of what the official scorer said. It was in the middle of the game and the throw was a relay from F4 to F2 with R2 barreling down the line. I was on F2's hip as he took the throw a step up the line and a step inside the line. As F2 rotated I followed and saw daylight on the swipe tag and called R2 safe.

During the rain delay, the official scorer and and I were talking and he said he had never seen an umpire make a call from in front of home plate. He added that the call was spot on and I then tried to explain the idea of finding the wedge which gives an unobstructed view of the tag/no tag. He then added that it was great to have umpires calling the game who really seemed to know what they were doing. I smiled.

There were some really talented ball players, and some coaches who understoodmost of the tactics and rules of baseball. I had a fun crew to work with and a peanut gallery that validated my decision to work the big field over the little fields 95% of the time.

Ahhhh Little League!

  • Like 3
Posted

Always a pleasure to work with @Kevin_K Not only was the game fun, spending rain delay time shooting the breeze made the 2 hours fly.

Posted

I had a similar experience I've talked about on here.   In short, I was 3BLX and took a read step to see daylight on the swipe tag.  Guys behind me were grumbling, but had video rolling.   They rewound and I didn't hear another word the whole game.  I nailed it and they knew it.  It's a GREAT feeling isn't it??!!

Great job. 

Posted

I think some of the great feeling for getting a good look at these plays at the plate comes from remembering when we had just started, had no training, and got a lot of bad looks on this crucially important play. It's nice not to have to guess.

  • Like 3
×
×
  • Create New...