Strike 3?

Uncle Bill
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3263 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Took a night off from a Little League tourney (11-12 y/o) and went in the score booth to run the official book.  During game BR has 2 strikes when a pitch comes in high and inside.  BR swings and ball strikes him in the shoulder.  Of course OC argues it was a HP and he gets 1st.  After Pu says no, that he swung OC sells an argument that it should remain at 2 strikes.  No one disagrees and BR continues at bat.

I can only assume that Pu ruling was it was a foul ball.  My thought was what happens in the same scenario if the ball had rolled fair after striking BR? In Little League it is common for a BR to swing at an inside pitch and get struck.  My ruling would have been unless the ball touches the bat, it would be dead ball and strike 3.  Can any one help on the rule, either in Little League or other levels?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the umpire(s) of the game applied the rule wrong.  As a scorer, in that situation, I'd record it as an additional foul ball with two strikes.  That way the pitch and strike are properly credited for the pitcher's pitching stats.