Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4187 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Don't say dead ball.

 

Not to hijack the thread (which means I probably will)... but why not? I've heard several fellow umpires say this, and I haven't been able to figure out why.

Posted

Time is the call. Dead ball is the status.

More precise wording.

One word versus two.

At upper echelons of umpire training the first student to say dead ball is required to present a eulogy for the departed baseball at the funeral. It's stupid but funny.

  • Like 1
Posted

Exactly, @Majordave!  My Summer ball Fed group yells "D--d Ball!" (see, I can't even say it!!!) all the time!  I cringe whenever I hear them say that.  I must tell every guy I work with exactly what you just said above. 

Posted

Part of the problem is that in softball "dead ball" is what is called.  So anyone used to SB or who does both is likely to use the "wrong" call at one or the other place.

Posted
Part of the problem is that in softball "dead ball" is what is called. So anyone used to SB or who does both is likely to use the "wrong" call at one or the other place.
Yup, I was doing both. I've fixed that since. No more SB for me. Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Posted

Softball also uses goofy signals and wears funny uniforms. We don't do that either, just like we don't call "Dead ball". 

Posted

Softball also uses goofy signals and wears funny uniforms. We don't do that either, just like we don't call "Dead ball".

Hence my reason for no longer doing softball, lol.

Posted

Part of the problem is that in softball "dead ball" is what is called.  So anyone used to SB or who does both is likely to use the "wrong" call at one or the other place.

What is this softball you speak of?

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Part of the problem is that in softball "dead ball" is what is called.  So anyone used to SB or who does both is likely to use the "wrong" call at one or the other place.

What is this softball you speak of?

 

 

Th thing "Lady Dead Ball" says she once umpired.  ;)

Posted

You  must mean the 'adult' wreck slow pitch that masquerades as softball?

×
×
  • Create New...