New ejection rule for USSSA Georgia

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3651 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have posted many times on how USSSA here in Georgia is all about the money BUT they do seem to be on board with umpire friendly rules.

The February 2014 rulebook has added the following:

10.05 When adult (18 years of age and older) coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, players, sponsors or spectators are ejected for any reason, the manager shall also be ejected for failure to maintain absolute complete control of coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, players, sponsors or spectators.

We can all debate the effectiveness and enforcement of this change BUT it does seem to send a signal to all participants on how bad behavior will be dealt with.  

Wow -bravo USSSA Georgia!

• Like 4

Wow I wish we had that here and then have the Directors actually enforcing it instead of kicking out the Umpires.

We will see how well we are backed up on this one BUT the symbolisim is good.

As always is about the tournament money here in Ga.

Wow I wish we had that here and then have the Directors actually enforcing it instead of kicking out the Umpires.

The only way to remedy this is for all umpires at a tournament to walk if one is treated unfairly.

I have seen this once. It worked- BUT got ugly in the following week after the tournament.

BUT in Georgia one group has an exclusive contract to call ALL USSSA tournaments BUT the booking agent of this group is also the UIC of USSSA Georgia.

Might be a conflict of interest. O well.

Abandoning a tournament here would be a big loss to your pocketbook.

• Like 1

We've used this policy for a long time (without any state directive). It is effective. The bad actors will continue to act bad, if allowed. When these clowns are negatively impacting the game, tell the HC to control his "people". If he can't or won't, dump him and see if the next HC can.

It usually only takes one time for them to get the message. Try it you'll like it.

• Like 1

We've used this policy for a long time (without any state directive). It is effective. The bad actors will continue to act bad, if allowed. When these clowns are negatively impacting the game, tell the HC to control his "people". If he can't or won't, dump him and see if the next HC can.

It usually only takes one time for them to get the message. Try it you'll like it.

So have I BUT now it is a rule in writing.

Yes! I have known about this for a while now. My only question is if that happens, and they are the only two in the dugout, does it revert to OBR where we can pick up a player manager? Otherwise there will be no coaches...?

Yes! I have known about this for a while now. My only question is if that happens, and they are the only two in the dugout, does it revert to OBR where we can pick up a player manager? Otherwise there will be no coaches...?

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

• Like 1

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

http://www.gausssabaseball.com/index.cfm?TPID=109

That is what ran through my head as well, and it is probably correct. I am just looking for the rule site before I open that Huge can of worms because something an AC says to me.

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

That is what ran through my head as well, and it is probably correct. I am just looking for the rule site before I open that Huge can of worms because something an AC says to me.

If it gets to the point where you have run all coaches you are done. 6-0 BUBYE!

This won't last long. I compare it to the Balk debacle in spring training several years ago. In the big picture TD"s could care less about umpires.

Georgia USSSA TDs will throw an umpire under the bus in a heartbeat BUT a nice gesture on the revised rule.

All about $$$$$ for the TD.

As posted earlier the exclusive umpire group is managed by the USSSA UIC.

At somepoint this MAY come to a head if enough umpires find games elsewhere.

USSSA here in North GA has a VERY heavy tournament schedule this year AND they are short of umpires already.

Have 10-15 umpires walk OR refuse to work for one of the USSSA TDs and something MAY change BUT the 17 year olds and fat and 50 Smittys will always be there.

• Like 2

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

That's the problem. All I would have to run is some rat 3BC who tells me to learn the rules as he walks back to the dugout.

Now I can either:

A: End the game and get dressed two towns over.

or

B: Let a comment go that I would have certainly ejected for last season.

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

That's the problem. All I would have to run is some rat 3BC who tells me to learn the rules as he walks back to the dugout.

Now I can either:

or

What do you think you SHOULD do?

No coaches=Forfit.

Ball game-6-0 score.

BUBYE!

Now I can either:

or

What do you think you SHOULD do?

I will stand firm on it. I tell the managers in my plate meetings that we only will speak to managers on calls and protest from other coaches is ejectable.

I only want the rule site so I know I am backed up by the rules that I can call the game.

Otherwise, after the dust settles I will be walking to the bench and ask who will be pulling a Fred Clarke and is my new manager.

I don't like to warn coaches at the plate meeting. I assume they know the rules and deal with it if they don't. I can see why you might want to do that if a single ejection can terminate the game, though. Glad I don't work GA U trip.

I agree no warnings at the plate meeting. You look like the bad guy. Coaches should already know this.

• Like 1

I never mentioned rules at the meeting, just game management. :shrug:

But really the issue I have had here is while the rule sounds good, it seems that at times it might put someone in a hard spot between redass and giving an AC more rope than a manager.

Managers need to make their staff understand what running your mouth can cause. I would certainly warn him initially, to give the manager a chance to handle him. He comes screaming out of the dugout, he goes, sorry about the manager's luck.

Best Answer

Managers need to make their staff understand what running your mouth can cause. I would certainly warn him initially, to give the manager a chance to handle him. He comes screaming out of the dugout, he goes, sorry about the manager's luck.

That works.