The Partner We All Have Nightmares About

Matt_A_B
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3851 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yeah, every time I start reading 10.00 my head starts hurting.
Rule 10 is easy. My dad taught me to score and I used to score for his team, but now that we play together, he does the stats for the team and "consults" me on some rulings our scorer makes that he doesn't agree with. We wind up crediting a few extra sac flies to some of our guys, which tend to be the poorer hitters so we can boost their average a bit and feel a bit better about their contributions; crediting the save whenever a runner tags up and advances to any base, instead of just when a runner scores. For some reason he seems to struggle with working out earned v unearned runs, which unfortunately is a decision that needs to be made more often than the pitching staff would like.

Why are you in B with the bases loaded?

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but there could have been two outs. With two outs it's not that uncommon in two man to work from B with a runner on 3rd. The likelihood of a throw to 3rd is very low and if there was to be a throw you have a great angle all you have t do is move closer to the play. Being in B just gives you a closer look at the play at 1st which is where it's going to be 99.9% of the time with 2 outs. 

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but there could have been two outs. With two outs it's not that uncommon in two man to work from B with a runner on 3rd. The likelihood of a throw to 3rd is very low and if there was to be a throw you have a great angle all you have t do is move closer to the play. Being in B just gives you a closer look at the play at 1st which is where it's going to be 99.9% of the time with 2 outs. 

They'll adjust you once you get to pro school. Bases loaded, regardless of how many outs, is always on the shortstop side of the mound, or position C as some are callling it. Position B is not pro mechanics and is incorrect. I understand your logic, but it isn't the proper mechanic.

The good angle observation is also true for a pickoff attempt at 1B if you are in 'C'. A young/fit umpire can get from 'C' to anywhere that his read takes him to in the time it takes the batter to get near 1B...the older, lets call it "sub-peak conditioned" umpires...not so much.

The good angle observation is also true for a pickoff attempt at 1B if you are in 'C'. A young/fit umpire can get from 'C' to anywhere that his read takes him to in the time it takes the batter to get near 1B...the older, lets call it "sub-peak conditioned" umpires...not so much.

@Ricka56: So you honestly think a young fit umpire can get anywhere from "C"? That might, and I stress might, work for kiddie ball, but when you do adult, collegiate, semi-pro, and professional, you'll get one, maybe two steps, before you have to get set to make the call. There you are striving for angle, and will give up some distance. Believe me, in upper echilon games, you'll hustle your ass off, regardless of your age.

(Because I can see it coming, an exception would be Jock-O because NASA had to do something with their rockets that the current administration mothballed, so they installed one in his ass, and at the touch of a button, he can be anywhere on the field, in perfect position, to make the perfect call, and the crowd will be in total awe and amazement at his skill and cunning. "Who was that arbiter man?" they'll cry!)

• Like 1

@Ricka56: So you honestly think a young fit umpire can get anywhere from "C"? That might, and I stress might, work for kiddie ball, but when you do adult, collegiate, semi-pro, and professional, you'll get one, maybe two steps, before you have to get set to make the call. There you are striving for angle, and will give up some distance. Believe me, in upper echilon games, you'll hustle your ass off, regardless of your age.

(Because I can see it coming, an exception would be Jock-O because NASA had to do something with their rockets that the current administration mothballed, so they installed one in his ass, and at the touch of a button, he can be anywhere on the field, in perfect position, to make the perfect call, and the crowd will be in total awe and amazement at his skill and cunning. "Who was that arbiter man?" they'll cry!)

Two steps ? on a batted ball ? Reread my post (I've boldened/underlined the significant part above in your quote). I could have been more elaborate on my post (sometimes concise (my preference) is more important that precise...other times, not so much). Some umpires think that 'B' is the place to be because 1B is the most likely place for a play with R3 (as Platejob29 pointed out). But that's not a good reason to be in 'B' because any fit umpire can get to anywhere he needs to be on a batted ball from 'C'.

On a pickoff, that's different sitch (you mixed up my other non-precise point). Whether you're looking at a pickoff at 1B from 'C' or looking at a pickoff at 3B from 'B', you're got approximately the same kind of angle. If you want to argue that 'B' is a better (closer) spot to be in on a pickoff at 1B because it is more likely, that may be true, but which would be more important a pick-off at 1B or a pickoff at 3B? :shrug:

I agree with whoever made the point that the powers-that-be probably choose to use (B/C) with R3/R1 depending on which position got burned the most recently.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but there could have been two outs. With two outs it's not that uncommon in two man to work from B with a runner on 3rd. The likelihood of a throw to 3rd is very low and if there was to be a throw you have a great angle all you have t do is move closer to the play. Being in B just gives you a closer look at the play at 1st which is where it's going to be 99.9% of the time with 2 outs. They'll adjust you once you get to pro school. Bases loaded, regardless of how many outs, is always on the shortstop side of the mound, or position C as some are callling it. Position B is not pro mechanics and is incorrect. I understand your logic, but it isn't the proper mechanic. It is not incorrect if that is what you are taught in your association. Do what your taught and be correct.

Two steps ? on a batted ball ? Reread my post (I've boldened/underlined the significant part above in your quote).

I could have been more elaborate on my post (sometimes concise (my preference) is more important that precise...other times, not so much). Some umpires think that 'B' is the place to be because 1B is the most likely place for a play with R3 (as Platejob29 pointed out). But that's not a good reason to be in 'B' because any fit umpire can get to anywhere he needs to be on a batted ball from 'C'.

On a pickoff, that's different sitch (you mixed up my other non-precise point). Whether you're looking at a pickoff at 1B from 'C' or looking at a pickoff at 3B from 'B', you're got approximately the same kind of angle. If you want to argue that 'B' is a better (closer) spot to be in on a pickoff at 1B because it is more likely, that may be true, but which would be more important a pick-off at 1B or a pickoff at 3B? :shrug:

I agree with whoever made the point that the powers-that-be probably choose to use (B/C) with R3/R1 depending on which position got burned the most recently.

Two steps ? on a batted ball ? Reread my post (I've boldened/underlined the significant part above in your quote).  On a batted ball, no you'll get a couple more steps. I was referring to a pickoff play at 1st. Angle is primary. Distance is secondary. You must not overcommit to one play, to be out of position to a following play. It's a fine line, but it works.

For the rest, the reasons you bring out are thoroughly explained in the HW, Jim Evans, and PBUC manuals, but are too lengthy to describe in a thread. I suggest you buy one or all three, and see why with R1 and R3, you should always be on the B side, not C. In a nutshell, the preponderance of plays will be at 2nd and 1st. A pick-off at 3rd rarely happens and usually comes from a catcher throwing than a pitcher.

Proper mechanic for R1 and R3 any outs is position B, first base side of the mound. It is the accepted practice and to be at C, IMHO, is wrong.

~Sigh~  I was not promoting 'C' over 'B'. Just that a batted ball play at 1B was not a good reason for 'B'.

They'll adjust you once you get to pro school. Bases loaded, regardless of how many outs, is always on the shortstop side of the mound, or position C as some are callling it. Position B is not pro mechanics and is incorrect. I understand your logic, but it isn't the proper mechanic.

The "pro school" has the base ump in C, but you think that's wrong ??? You can buy into the current philosophy or not, I don't give a flip. Whatever reasoning used to justify the current choice is the correct one "currently". And when the choice changes again, the reasoning used to justify that choice will be the correct one, "at that time".

All I know is that when Murphy comes to bite us on the arse, he doesn't care which position is the "correct" one, he just needs to know the "current" one.

~Sigh~  I was not promoting 'C' over 'B'. Just that a batted ball play at 1B was not a good reason for 'B'.

The "pro school" has the base ump in C, but you think that's wrong. You can buy into the current philosophy or not, I don't give a flip. Whatever reasoning is used to justify the current choice is the correct one "currently". And when the choice changes again, the reasoning used to justify that choice will be the correct one, "at that time".

All I know is that when Murphy comes to bite us on the arse, he's just checks on the current positioning.

No "pro school" has R1 and R3 with the umpire at C, but suit yourself. I can see now that you can't be shown or told anything.

ok...we're definately not on the same communication page on this thread, but I'm sure others are thoroughly amused. :cheers:

Position B is not pro mechanics and is incorrect.

I guess you think the above sentence means something. I'm not sure what this is saying. Re read your own sentence/post. Double negatives are confusing. But you were clearer when you stated:

Proper mechanic for R1 and R3 any outs is position B, first base side of the mound. It is the accepted practice and to be at C, IMHO, is wrong.

Then you contradict that statement with:

No "pro school" has R1 and R3 with the umpire at C

At least one of us is very confused. I started out saying that batted ball play at 1B was not a good reason to choose 'B' and you started an arguement about it. And with crappy grammar you agree/disagree with a point that I never was trying to make and then contradicted your own statements while trying to continue to argue. You're not going to claim that you posts were mysteriously  changed again, are you ? 

Then you drop this bomb:

... but suit yourself. I can see now that you can't be shown or told anything. 

:kissass: You are not a party to the Kerry truce agreement and do not enjoy any of its privileges. :BD:  And this, sir, is no way to get on my Christmas card list. We're done here.

ok...we're definately not on the same communication page on this thread, but I'm sure others are thoroughly amused. :cheers:

Position B is not pro mechanics and is incorrect.

I guess you think the above statement means one thing, I'm not sure what this is saying. Re read your own sentence/post. Double negatives are confusing. But you were clearer when you stated:

MISQUOTED FROM #54. IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUOTE ME, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE SITUATION RIGHT. THIS QUOTE IS FROM BASES LOADED AND YOU WERE AT "B".    STRIKE 1 ON YOU!

Then you contradict that statement with:

CONTEXT WRONGLY TAKEN FROM #59, BECAUSE WE WERE TALKING ABOUT TAKING STEPS ON BATTEED V. PICKOFF MOVES WHILE YOU WERE AT "C" WHEN YOU SHOULD BE AT "B".  YOU MISQUOTED ME TO MAKE YOURSELF A WRONG ASSUMPTION.    STRIKE 2!

No "pro school" has R1 and R3 with the umpire at C

At least one of us is very confused. You're not going to claim that you posts were changed again, are you ? I started out saying that batted ball play at 1B was not a good reason to choose 'B' and you started an arguement about it. And with crappy grammar you agree/disagree with a point that I never was trying to make and then contradicted your own statements while trying to continue to argue.   :WTF

THEN YOU ARGUE AGAIN ON TWO MISTAKES YOU'VE MADE... STRIKE 3 - YOU'RE OUT!

Then you drop this bomb:

... but suit yourself. I can see now that you can't be shown or told anything. 

:kissass: You are not a party to the Kerry truce agreement and do not enjoy any of its privileges. :BD:  And this, sir, is no way to get on my Christmas card list. We're done.

See the bold italics for responses...And NO, NO POSTS WERE EDITED AS YOU ACCUSED.

Now you have totally come across as unapproachable. Maybe Jocko jumped on you because he saw this in you earlier. I give the benefit of the doubt. Please learn to read and ask questions before spouting off. Don't worry abou't the Christmas Cards. Save yourself the .43 cents. We're done? You're gone!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3851 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.