Visit to mound

Airborne
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3947 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Situation, bottom of the 7th the opposing team is winning by one run.  I am observing two of my younger umpires in this game. As they get ready to take the field the coach calls a huddle along side his base line with all his players. The team takes the field and does their warm ups, as the catcher throws the ball to second the coach walks to the diamond pulls his team into a huddle including the outfield. As he walks off the field the umpire informs the coach he is charged a visit, which I agree with, coach says it is not a visit. He gets to the side line and argues with my ump, says they might protest the game, but never says he wants to protest.  Was this a visit, on a protest must it be protested before the next pitch. I remember this in a major league game and they called it a visit. 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

I would call it a visit if I determined that it delayed the game. I can't imagine that it didn't. This was the bottom of the 7th, had he been doing this the whole game?

Look at Rule 8.06 in OBR. It addresses a visit, including if the manager goes to a catcher or infielder who then goes to the pitcher or if the pitcher comes to the manager. Both are considered visits. The general rule is 90 seconds between innings and/or 5 pitches if the same pitcher returns to the mound. If the coach delays beyond that period, it should be considered a visit.

In some cases you might see a third base coach grabbing a helmet or bat on his way back to the dugout and he stops out to talk to the pitcher during warm ups. As long as it does not delay the game, no problem not calling it a visit. If it delays, then yes, call it a visit and keep the game moving.

Look at Rule 8.06 in OBR. It addresses a visit, including if the manager goes to a catcher or infielder who then goes to the pitcher or if the pitcher comes to the manager. Both are considered visits. The general rule is 90 seconds between innings and/or 5 pitches if the same pitcher returns to the mound. If the coach delays beyond that period, it should be considered a visit.

In some cases you might see a third base coach grabbing a helmet or bat on his way back to the dugout and he stops out to talk to the pitcher during warm ups. As long as it does not delay the game, no problem not calling it a visit. If it delays, then yes, call it a visit and keep the game moving.

Can you say that again?   :lol: