Behind the plate, counter or no?

Oldcrow
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3947 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm thinking about gluing it to my base brush so I can remember to reset it between innings when I sweep the bases.

Please, oh please don't forget the smiley to signal your irony! :wave:

I don't think anyone that's been on this board in the last week needed the smiley. :)

I use one on the bases and behind the plate.  But I've done a handful of games behind the plate without one over the years because I forgot it or didn't have it for whatever reason.  I was stressed the whole time that I would forget the count.  Now FWIW even with an indicator I have had moments where I forget the count (meaning I can't remember on a passed ball if I clicked it or not).  To me I'd rather have my mind focused on the pitch and the game situation not trying to remember the balls and strikes.  But that is just me.  Maybe if I didn't have an indicator I would be more focused?

I used to hide my clicker in my socks then pretend to fix my leg guard straps as I looked at the clicker for the count,

Ummmmmmm......

He said "clicker", he's gonna be in trouble.....

Tim.

How much does your "Clicker" weigh??

Maybe if I didn't have an indicator I would be more focused?

It's hard to say how not using one would work out or not work out for you. But if you're willing to try going without one, just put one in your ball bag and work a few innings without it. If it's working for you, leave it in the bag, if not, grab it and start using it again. Let us know how it works out.

Tim.

• Like 1

I don't carry or use one at all on the bases, and I have one in my ball bag but don't use it behind the plate.  I guess I have it with me just in case.  I seem to stay more focused without one behind the plate, and normally have a good idea of what the count is when I'm on the bases.  As Rich said earlier, if the PU is coming to me for on a regular basis, but don't ask me more than once a game. (we don't work with the same guy all the time.)

I prefer to and do use one plate and bases, do not refer to it often by like others like it as a back up. It is part of my routine call the pitch relax ,spin the wheel, re position get in stance and call next pitch, same concept on bases it is part of my reset routine. Creature of habit or crazy never went to get it checked out married so do not need  to see Dr. to find out.

I have almost always used it in both positions. When I first started, I was in C, R2, after the pitch, I looked at my indicator , F2 snap throw to F6 at 2B. I missed it completely. Lesson learned!!! I did go without one on the bases one year. I had no problems but felt better with it. Use the tools, but use them correctly. Larry Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I use an indicator every time I work the stick.  Never on the bases as, IMHO, that's the PU's responsibility.  I don't worry about losing the count with an indicator because my routine is simple...see the pitch, call the pitch, record the pitch.  PBs/WPs, Pick-off attempts, Stolen bases, Rundowns, etc. all happen AFTER a pitch.  When I follow my cadence, I always have an accurate count.

• Like 1

I use one as PU all the time and typically refer to it only when there's been a break in the action.  It's a muscle-memory thing for me; I don't even really notice myself turning it.

As BU, I use one if/when the PU asks me to.  I actually ask in pre-game, "Do you want me to carry an indicator?"

If he says, "Yes.", I carry and use it, though I do not stare at it - ever.  (pet peeve of mine as a PU and I'm not putting my partner through it)

If he says, "No.", I leave it in my pocket.  (It's there as a spare for the PU)

If he says he doesn't care, I sometimes use it and sometimes don't, though lately I've preferred not to.

• Like 1

Bottom line -

Use one if you like to or don't use one, it doesn't matter to me either way. Manage the game is the key here.

Everyone has preferences to which mask, shoes whatever they use, so this is a choice as well.

• Like 2

http://www.umpire.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=38_50_51&products_id=149

Buy it, try it you will really enjoy this indicator.

It has BIG numbers and “at zero†notches.

I bought 14 last year for our guys and all but 2 are using them now.

Strikes are on the top.  I could never use it.

That what I want.  You need more strikes.

Bottom line -

Use one if you like to or don't use one, it doesn't matter to me either way. Manage the game is the key here.

Everyone has preferences to which mask, shoes whatever they use, so this is a choice as well.

I agree on the bases, on the plate your job is to track the count and this a tool to do so. It's like not wearing plate shoes, a personal choice but not a smart one. 

Bottom line -

I agree on the bases, on the plate your job is to track the count and this a tool to do so. It's like not wearing plate shoes, a personal choice but not a smart one. 

In your opinion it isn't smart. Wearing protective plate shoes and holding an indicator are two different things. Personally I quit using and indicator because I find them to be a distraction. I've never lost a count while not using it. IMO it's like a crutch for me, I found myself wondering had I clicked it or did I click it 2x. It's kind of equivilent to using the scoreboard, better hope it's right!!

• Like 2

Bottom line -

I agree with you (I always use an indicator at the plate), but some guys think it makes them better not to. If it works for them great, if not, I will carry one on the bases and we will discuss it after the game, if I need to keep giving him the count. I always have one with me in a 2-man system, but may not always use it on  the bases. 3 or 4 man, usually someone on the field likes to have one with them to back up the plate guy.

Learned a long time ago - scoreboard operators don't do as well as they think they do.

Bottom line -

In your opinion it isn't smart. Wearing protective plate shoes and holding an indicator are two different things. Personally I quit using and indicator because I find them to be a distraction. I've never lost a count while not using it. IMO it's like a crutch for me, I found myself wondering had I clicked it or did I click it 2x. It's kind of equivilent to using the scoreboard, better hope it's right!!

I wasn't saying that wearing plate shoes was an option, I was saying the style or brand you wear is a choice.

I learned to umpire using an indicator many years ago, and I don't feel it is a crutch, it is just a natural part of my game.

The basic principle of my post was that one person shouldn't put another one down, because they may or may not use an indicator - I have respect for an umpire if he can do the game without one, I also respect the guy that uses one and doesn't stare at it all of the time, but uses it properly and manages a good game.

• Like 1

I knew exactly what you were saying, I quoted you because I agree with it on the bases, behind the plate, not so much. I used to work with a guy that wouldn't use plate shoes or shin guards. I told him it wasn't smart, he took a hit one night that caused him to drive home wrong footed before he saw the error of his ways. Using a counter correctly is not a crutch, it is confirmation. I carried a counter when I coached bases. 

• Like 1

I figured that was coming. :) I usually call it an indicator, don't have a problem with counter, will not call it a clicker.
I call it my indiclickcounter
  • Like 2

I figured that was coming. :) I usually call it an indicator, don't have a problem with counter, will not call it a clicker.
I call it my indiclickcounter

If I remember correctly I told guys to make sure you call it by it's proper name, indiclicker. :)

• Like 1

You're painting with a pretty big brush here, Michael. We're not all cut from the same cloth, and that's a wonderful thing. I don't recall anyone saying that those of you that use one on the dish use it as a crutch. I'm sure that you don't. What's been said by those if us that no longer use one is that WE feel we allowed it to become a crutch for US. We all process things differently depending on how our minds work. And seeing as I can't remember when the last time I lost the count was, combined with my average yearly schedule having me work 150 games or more, I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I was stupid for not using one. It WORKS better for me to leave it in the truck. :)

Tim.

• Like 2

You're painting with a pretty big brush here, Michael. We're not all cut from the same cloth, and that's a wonderful thing. I don't recall anyone saying that those of you that use one on the dish use it as a crutch. I'm sure that you don't. What's been said by those if us that no longer use one is that WE feel we allowed it to become a crutch for US. We all process things differently depending on how our minds work. And seeing as I can't remember when the last time I lost the count was, combined with my average yearly schedule having me work 150 games or more, I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I was stupid for not using one. It WORKS better for me to leave it in the truck. :)

Tim.

I am painting a broad stroke here but I by no means intend to call anybody stupid. I said not using one on the plate was not a smart choice, big difference. Smart people make not smart choices all the time. If it works for you, fine. If I was your supervisor doing your evaul I would mention it. I would also mention if it affected your ability to keep the count. Using or not using is still a personal choice, it won't change the fact that I will always recommend using one. On the bases, I won't mention it, I don't care. On the plate, I do. I will also allow that several of our best umpires don't use them in either position. It does not affect the number of games or quality of games they receive but I still don't like it. 

I was doing a 10U select league game the other night and figured this was as good a time as any to try this out.  I went a few innings not using it and I really liked it.  I was thinking about the count in my head after every pitch and I never lost track of the count.  Then we had a passed ball and steal of home 2 more over throws and 3 runs later and I did not remember what the count was.  

I agree with both sides on this.  I do think that during the duration of the game I'm more aware of the count when I'm not using an indicator.  Because it was/is a crutch for me.  But I will say that if I ever lost the count and didn't have an indicator I would feel like a total douche.  Making a mistake by forgetting to move it is excusable.  Forgetting the count and not having an indicator with you is not defensible in my opinion.

So I will use one and simply make an effort to not allow it to become a crutch, rather than get rid of it because it has become one.

• Like 3