Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4912 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had this in a tournament game recently.  13U, OBR. I'm PU.  R2, pitcher blows through his stop and partner and I call a balk.  Batter hits a grounder to F5, well off the line.  F5 gloves the ball, and doesn't do anything.  Batter stands in the box and doesn't run.  After several seconds (15 maybe?), F5 throws the ball back to F1 and R2 heads to third base.  What do you do?

 

I stood there and waited for F5 to make a play.  As soon as he returned the ball to F1 and he got on the mound, and that it was apparent that the batter wasn't going to run, I simply called time and awarded R2 third.  While I suppose I could have stood there pointing the ball fair until someone did something, it really didn't occur to me since it was well off the line.  We resumed play and everyone was happy.  Funny thing was that my partner, who has been umpiring for 25 years, was as clueless on this play as the players were.  It wasn't until after the game that I informed him that it was a live ball.  He didn't kill it, but he didn't know it wasn't supposed to be killed either.

Posted

I think I stand there pointing fair. Maybe vigorously pointing fair. If it's really quiet, I might even say — sotto voce — "fair ball, guys."

Posted

I think I stand there pointing fair. Maybe vigorously pointing fair. If it's really quiet, I might even say — sotto voce — "fair ball, guys."

 

"FOUL??? That's not foul! My third baseman got the ball ten feet into fair territory!"

 

;)

Posted

I agree with the OPs solution if neither team wants to take the play then its the same as if the batter deserted so hes out so enforce the balk.  I am assuming that the umpire did point fair and no one did anything.

Posted

I was thinking batter out for abandonment, but it sounds like in the OP's solution they left the batter there and effectively treated the balk ala FED after it was apparent that neither the offense or defense was going to make a play.

 

Edit - not sure how my brain got to my original response, ball is dead and the runner is moved one base since the batter didn't reach first and the runner didn't advance at least one base.  So if there was a successful play (out) at first on the batter in this situation (or if R2 got put out on the play), you would bring the batter back, not count the pitch and enforce the balk anyway.  Makes sense as the defense gets penalized for the balk.

Posted

Well first of all, once the Balk is called only two things can happen and neither of them include getting any outs.

1)  Everyone advances at least one base safely and the next batter comes up to bat.

2)  The Balk is enforced.  R2 goes to 3B and Batter resumes his at bat with the same count since there was no pitch.

 

Some mention either team wanting to take the Balk.

There is no option to take or not take a Balk.

If one above is achieved the Balk is nullified.

Otherwise #2 is used.

No one has a choice.

  • Like 1
Posted

Well first of all, once the Balk is called only two things can happen and neither of them include getting any outs.

1)  Everyone advances at least one base safely and the next batter comes up to bat.

2)  The Balk is enforced.  R2 goes to 3B and Batter resumes his at bat with the same count since there was no pitch.

 

Some mention either team wanting to take the Balk.

There is no option to take or not take a Balk.

If one above is achieved the Balk is nullified.

Otherwise #2 is used.

No one has a choice.

I didn't mean to infer that anyone had a choice once the play was over (like on a CI).  I just meant that if no one is advancing and no one is making a play, then they are so-called "choosing" to just enforce the balk penalty (advance the runner and return the batter) rather than playing it out for the potential of ignoring the balk.  That is, they are treating it exactly the same as if F5 had thrown the batter out at first.  So, just jump to that resolution.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...