• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, but we are not solving the problem. The players, and forget they are Spanish, let's say they are German, could be (not accusing here) blatantly calling the umpire all the things we are not suppose to put in print on paper or say in public and he would never know. Forget that his partner spoke the other language. What if neither does. How do we keep the bi lingual people (all languages) from cursing us out and just laughing at us because they know we do not speak their language and they are doing this on purpose. You could be bilingual also, just not in German.

Personally, if the situation was reversed, I have no problem with someone going up to each other where nobody can hear but just themselves and speaking in another language. But publicly, out loud where you have the advantage, I do not agree with. I was told that people from other countries are told it is rude to talk to each other in front of those who do not understand the language, and the only reason they do so is because they do not want you to understand what they are saying.

Then leave the table or go somewhere that you can talk in private. Do not speak to each other in front of others who do not understand the language. Speak the language everyone understands.

In other words, I would not be bilingual in Spanish (as in this case) and English and speak out loud in English if I were in Mexico, or Spain. Nor if I were bi lingual in French, would I speak English to my English (or those who understood English) friends in front of the French. In private, I would speak with my English friends in English, but not in front of, or within earshot of others who spoke French only and not English.

So what is one to do without seeming like they are racist, or prejudice or any word that fits what is going on. I hope the way I said things above does not make me something I do not want to be. I don't want to hurt anyone or take away anything from someone. If I have spoken badly, please accept my apologies. I would work on the field with anybody, no exceptions, but I just want to know how to solve the problem of being guaranteed that if someone is saying inappropriate things out loud in another language on the field, they are penalized just like anyone being penalized, or not penalized.  Heeeellllpppp.

I just consider it rude, but I do not have anything against anyone speaking another language in this country and I wish everyone everywhere could be multilingual and learn languages easily, but unfortunately some have a hard time just learning their own country's language.

There are two seperate things here...

If they are talking in spanish to each other, let it be... It (usually) isn't my business what they say to each other. Now, if the other coach comes out and says "Hey, they were just talking in spanish on the mound about intentionally hitting my player!!" that's a whole new can of worms.

If they are talking in spanish to or about YOU, that's a whole different thing... It should be stopped very quickly.

I guess it could summed up like this: don't let them get away with something they shouldn't because their bi-lingual, but at the same time don't disallow or disrespect their culture.

If they are talking in spanish to each other, let it be... It (usually) isn't my business what they say to each other. Now, if the other coach comes out and says "Hey, they were just talking in spanish on the mound about intentionally hitting my player!!" that's a whole new can of worms.

If they are talking in spanish to or about YOU, that's a whole different thing... It should be stopped very quickly.

I guess it could summed up like this: don't let them get away with something they shouldn't because their bi-lingual, but at the same time don't disallow or disrespect their culture.

If you don't speak/understand (to you/"about" you) the language how do you know the 2nd and 3rd paragraph. That's what I am asking.

If you don't speak/understand (to you/"about" you) the language (whatever one it is) how do you know the 2nd and 3rd paragraph. That's what I am asking. So they get free shots at saying all the things you eject others for and you can do absolutely nothing because you do not know what they are saying, and they are just laughing all the way to the bank so to speak.

If you don't speak/understand (to you/"about" you) the language how do you know the 2nd and 3rd paragraph. That's what I am asking.

If they are in the field and the 2nd baseman says "Gibberdy gibberty spanish gibberty" to the shortstop, I couldn't care less.

If there is a close pitch I call a ball and the DM says "GIBBERT GIBBERTY SPANISH GIBBERTY!!!" in my direction, that needs to be stopped with a "If you need to say something to me, you need to say it in English."

Google translate says that the first one could be something like "Tengo segundos si roba la base!" and the second could be "Eso fue una huelga, azul!"

If they are in the field and the 2nd baseman says "Gibberdy gibberty spanish gibberty" to the shortstop, I couldn't care less.

If there is a close pitch I call a ball and the DM says "GIBBERT GIBBERTY SPANISH GIBBERTY!!!" in my direction, that needs to be stopped with a "If you need to say something to me, you need to say it in English."

Google translate says that the first one could be something like "Tengo segundos si roba la base!" and the second could be "Eso fue una huelga, azul!"

I agree with DumbDumb here.  If you tell the HC he needs to speak to you in english, of course his response (in english) is going to be "I wasn't talking to you" while everyone who does habla is snickering and having a good ole time at what was actually said.  Unless its "put your hands on top of your head," "drop the knife" or "driver's license please" I have no idea what is being said (sorry, all I remember from the academy 30+ years ago).  I have had F6 and F4 communicate their coverages to each other in spanish...who cares?  But when comments are directed to me is spanish, that is chickenSH*#.  You have something to say to an umpire, man up and say it in the language they understand.  All they are doing is playing to their players and fans knowing that most of the time they can get away with it.

I agree with DumbDumb here.  If you tell the HC he needs to speak to you in english, of course his response (in english) is going to be "I wasn't talking to you" while everyone who does habla is snickering and having a good ole time at what was actually said.  Unless its "put your hands on top of your head," "drop the knife" or "driver's license please" I have no idea what is being said (sorry, all I remember from the academy 30+ years ago).  I have had F6 and F4 communicate their coverages to each other in spanish...who cares?  But when comments are directed to me is spanish, that is chickenSH*#.  You have something to say to an umpire, man up and say it in the language they understand.  All they are doing is playing to their players and fans knowing that most of the time they can get away with it.

I agree with this. My responce would be "Coach, I know when someone is talking to me. Please keep it to English from now on." And it is a chickenSH*# move when someone is talking to you in Spanish, which is why I'm not going to let it go far at ALL.

Luckily, I live in Michigan, so the worst language I've had to comprehend as of yet is the Yooper accent.

"It is chickenSH*# and impolite to use a different language when everybody else is speaking English, but there's no rule against it."

Guys, there is just no way I feel comfortable with discussing this post, without feeling in my heart that I am being a total bigot and that I am condoning what was done. For the record I am not.

However, I am beginning to feel I would not qualify to umpire if I had the time to pursue the endeavor because those players who are multilingual would have an advantage over those who are not multilingual and could take full advantage of me in an unfair way that others could not. There is not a single thing I could do since I do not understand whether they are talking about me or not, and I have a hard time comprehending or learning my own language much less another language.

I am beginning to feel like the want add should say, "needed, umpires, only multilingual need apply". Cripes, there are those who say that low pay keeps the possible best from pursuing things, now it could be because of not being multilingual. Once again, it is not that someone can speak a language that I do not understand to just generally talk, it is because there is a penalty that needs to be enforced sometimes, and I could only enforce that penalty, (ejection), to one side and not the other and therefor an unfair advantage is being gained by one side that should not be gained. Oh well, I think I have given up hope on this one, and once again I feel like a total bigot.

DumDum, how are multi-lingual players taking advantage of you by speaking in a language you don't understand. In the area I used to umpire there was a school for the deaf, should we make them all talk? I really don't care how many ways they can curse me in sign language. As far as what players can get away with, if they aren't speaking directly to me, who cares. You don't think English speaking players are whispering on the bench about how bad we are?