Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4896 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

I am seeing lots of posts on this site of umps being by them selves on a field (scheduled that way)

 

Just wondering how common is this?

Why are leagues doing this? ( money, lack of umps, What)

Is this a growing trend?

Any recomendations?

 

Wont bring up single ump mechanics BUT if someone wants to chime in- OK.

 

 

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

Association meeting this week it was announced that all of the Babe Ruth Leagues in our area are going to solo umpires.  It was explained as a cost saving move on the part of the leagues.

  • 0
Posted

Here, most Non-Tournament games below 12U are one man.  HS Summer Ball is usually one man as well.

 

I always explain the limitations at the plate meeting and make sure the managers understand that I will do my best but can't see everything at once.

  • 0
Posted

In my case it's because of low volunteer rate. I can't get people to volunteer. The league may have to go to paid umpires.

I taught all winter and only got 3 to stick with it. I thought it was going to be easy of I had a person do one game a week, which would only be 10 a year.

But nope!

  • 0
Posted

Don't explain limitations at the plate, they should be aware of them, they just don't care,nor appreciate what we do. If a coach is stupid enough to argue over a call with a single umpire then his leash is going to be very  short. My first year in HS ball, almost thirty years ago, we told the two remaing HS that insisted on one man for JV that we would no longer do it. We would send two or not do their JV games. Even our LLs use two man all the way down to 9/10s. Only a few leagues have PM leagues but those use two umpires also. 

I have done one man but prefer not to do so. When it is necessary, fine, being done by design is BS. 

  • 0
Posted

Our local Dixie does one man because that is all they can afford.  Sometimes you get a second, but the second guy is one who is being trained (not sure if he is paid too, but probably is).

  • 0
Posted

Don't explain limitations at the plate, they should be aware of them, they just don't care,nor appreciate what we do. If a coach is stupid enough to argue over a call with a single umpire then his leash is going to be very  short.

That pretty much is the warning that the leash will be short.

  • 0
Posted

Don't explain limitations at the plate, they should be aware of them, they just don't care,nor appreciate what we do. If a coach is stupid enough to argue over a call with a single umpire then his leash is going to be very  short.

That pretty much is the warning that the leash will be short.

But my point is that you shouldn't warn anything at the plate meeting. You exchange line-ups, get ground rules, make sure the players are legally equipped and wish them luck.  Do warn about only being one guy, don't warn about short leashes, past history, nothing. 

  • 0
Posted

KLAH,

 

I concur with Michael.

 

Never make excuses or threats during the plate conference.

 

I wouldn't even mention the "one guy" thing - do you think the coaches are blind or stupid?

 

JM

  • 0
Posted

KLAH,

 

I concur with Michael.

 

Never make excuses or threats during the plate conference.

 

I wouldn't even mention the "one guy" thing - do you think the coaches are blind or stupid?

 

JM

I won't make a comment.

  • Like 4
  • 0
Posted

Good points.... It's just something that I always did in a subtle way...

I'll probably just start doing my one-man plate meetings like my two-man.

 

Thanks for the comments....  That's why this site is awesome!  No matter how much experience you have, you can always learn something.

  • 0
Posted

How about some tips on calling by your self?

Positioning, what to watch for, what takes priority.

Thanks in advance. 

  • 0
Posted

My daughter's Softball league uses two umpires at every game, and while we generally don't talk about our brothers, I can't watch.   Some of these guys are stealing game fees.    I think they make $30-35 each, 1:45 no new inning. 

 

 Conversely, I do 1-man games for a Pony league who advertises "Professional Umpires" on their website and our assigner only accepts premium umpires.  They pay $50, 1:45 no new inning.   The games are handled smoothly and our umpires are all upper level HS guys who hustle and get it right most of the time. 

 

 

 

So one league pays more for lower quality umpires.    Some leagues think the only way to save money is to pay the lowest bidder.   The point is that 1-man can work for some leagues. 

  • 0
Posted

JaxRolo

I am new to this site and have no experence in one man.

I am coming back into umpiring after a 13 year layoff.

If this topic has been beat to death i was not around to hear it.

Just asking for some help.

  • 0
Posted

Remember your priorities from training

1) Ball/Strike

2) Fair/Foul

3) Safe/Out

 

This also ends the behind the pitcher/behind the catcher argument in my opinion.  I can make better calls on the first two behind the catcher, so I sacrifice a little on 3.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

It isn't near as bad as being alone on a 60 foot field. A 90 takes some true hussle.

I will do 50-60 games this year and maybe 1 I will have help.

I have actually had managers come complain to me that a runner on first left early.

But I prefer doing them myself than having some Dad help.

 

I have been through the dad help, and now I say, "No Thank You!" "You need me to cover first blue?"  No, thanks, I got it!! 

×
×
  • Create New...