Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4951 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

R1, R2, no outs (obviously). Pop-up to F4. Pat and I both call and signal IFF. F4 muffs the catch, and OHC is saying "stay on the bag !!". Runners do not heed his advice. A bullet is thrown to third for the second out, and back to second for the third out.

 

Interestingly, the team that turned the triple-killing was victimized themselves by a triple play three days later, and if those weren't enough milestones for the first two weeks of a season, they were also blanked in a perfect game, K-ing ten times in the process, in another game.

Posted

Bullet throws and TAGS on both runners I'm hoping? 

 

 

Absolutely ! No doubters on both tags. A second assistant (aka head cheerleader) decided that we didn't know what we were doing, and came out of the dugout protesting that "he didn't catch the ball" ! As I stepped toward him to shut him down, the HC came by and said "I've got this". Being a coach that I like and respect, I allowed him to handle the situation, which he did. Immediately.

Who called the perfecto?

 

I'd have to check Arbiter to find out. I can't remember who was working that game.

  • Like 1
Posted

Sweet! The irony? The IFF rule was put in to prevent the defense from dropping the ball on purpose and turning an easy double or triple play, bonehead baserunners not withstanding...

  • Like 1
Posted

After the catch, did you loudly reiterate that the batter is out?  Something like, "Batter's out!  He's still out!"  Not that this is required, but I think it's a good mechanic on an IFF where the fielder doesn't make the catch.  Probably wouldn't have made a difference on this one since OHC told them to stay on the bag and they still ran.

Posted

After the catch, did you loudly reiterate that the batter is out?  Something like, "Batter's out!  He's still out!"  Not that this is required, but I think it's a good mechanic on an IFF where the fielder doesn't make the catch.  Probably wouldn't have made a difference on this one since OHC told them to stay on the bag and they still ran.

 

 

No, I did not. That borders on coaching to me. Both the offense, and the defense should understand the ramifications of the IFF, including those involving a no-catch situation.

×
×
  • Create New...