Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4972 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Rule 8-3-2 states that an obstructed runner receives a minimum one base award.  However, what if a batter-runner leaving the box is obstructed by the catcher and there is a line drive to the infield that is caught?  Is the batter-runner still entitled to a minimum one base award?  I couldn't find anything in the rule book that would state otherwise.  The NCAA book specifically addresses this situation (6-3-d(2)) and the batter runner would still be out.

 

Posted

Since the airborne batted ball was caught in the air, the obstruction is ignored b/c the batter is out anyway.  

 

Unless you're talking catcher interference...(hitter's bat hits F2's mitt, then hits a soft line drive to F6 who catches it for the out)...then you'd give batter/runner 1b in the situation you're describing.

Posted

I found it interested that NCAA specifically addresses that play while FED does not.  I had it on the test this year that all obstruction is a minimum one base award and it's false.  Curious since FED specifically states all obstruction is a min one base award.

Posted

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Posted

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Yes, I would be tempted to give the BR first base on anything other than a caught ball. But does this become a judgment call? What about a sharp grounder to F3 which would be a routine out; BR gets obstructed by F2, but he's out by 70 feet?

  • Like 1
Posted

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Yes, I would be tempted to give the BR first base on anything other than a caught ball. But does this become a judgment call? What about a sharp grounder to F3 which would be a routine out; BR gets obstructed by F2, but he's out by 70 feet?

 

 

I think in that case, you award the BR first base.  

Posted

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Yes, I would be tempted to give the BR first base on anything other than a caught ball. But does this become a judgment call? What about a sharp grounder to F3 which would be a routine out; BR gets obstructed by F2, but he's out by 70 feet?

Out by 70' matters not since there is a minimum award in FED OBS.

In the OP the out happens and has nothing to do with whether there was OBS or not.  

Posted

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Yes, I would be tempted to give the BR first base on anything other than a caught ball. But does this become a judgment call? What about a sharp grounder to F3 which would be a routine out; BR gets obstructed by F2, but he's out by 70 feet?

Out by 70' matters not since there is a minimum award in FED OBS.

not just fed OBR as well because it is type a
Posted

 

I think common sense dictates the batter is out since line drive was caught.

Maybe different if ball hit the ground.

Yes, I would be tempted to give the BR first base on anything other than a caught ball. But does this become a judgment call? What about a sharp grounder to F3 which would be a routine out; BR gets obstructed by F2, but he's out by 70 feet?

Out by 70' matters not since there is a minimum award in FED OBS.

In the OP the out happens and has nothing to do with whether there was OBS or not.  

Yes...that's what I thought. Sounds like a conversation with the DC after that call.

×
×
  • Create New...