Umpire in Chief

Tell us how being an umpire has affected your watching a game

Now that MLB season is here I'm also thinking of watching some games. Being an umpire has definitely changed my perspective when watching a game. I want to hear about how it has changed yours.

I used to like to watch a pro game in person so I could watch what was going on away from the camera...how the fielders are getting ready, what's the catcher doing on that single...etc

Now I go to a game and I'm watching the umpires, how they move, who covers in each sit...It's a whole different perspective.

I always watch the umpires now, and I even find myself looking at their numbers so I can search on the internet to tell who they are. Good fun.

I don't go to a game anymore to watch the game. I have found myself watching the umpires more than I do anyone else. I watch their positioning and their communication.

I am glad I am not the only one that watches the game because of the umpires. Doesn't really matter who is playing. You can watch any umpire, almost any, and improve yourself. Whether it be picking up something they do right and you could do better, or something that they might be doing incorrectly that you could critique them on. However, the guys in MLB, you can only see what you can do better.

I'm with the rest of you, I watched the umpires as much as the rest of the game, primarily trying to learn something from the observation. Although I'm not on the field this year, I'll still watch the crews to try and 'keep up' (at least as much as that will allow) with rotations, mechanics, etc.

I do the same as you guys. I tend to pay more attention to the umpires than the players. I also officiate football, and it has given me a whole new thing to pay attention to. As you can see from my name, I am a Bama fan. That is one of the few football games that I watch without seeing what the officials are doing. During football, I pay more attention to what the backjudge is doing more than anything since that is my position on the field. I made the mistake of wearing one of my football association t-shirts to a football game (wasn't thinking when I grabbed it). NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! I now pay attention to what I wear when I am going to ANY game, football or baseball.

I went to my first pro game since becoming an umpire the other day. I have a completely different viewpoint now on what professional umpiring is.

Even the pros:

1) Talk to players during the game (afraid to get busted for this by a coach)

2) Wear white on their plate shoes (saw a mandate somewhere about no white on the shoes)

3) Put their hands in their pockets (this is a leftover from the Marine Corps that I can't bring myself to do when I'm in my uniform)

4) Lift their mask to spit (Self conscious about parents judging me)

5) Walk around with their mask on (I can't walk 6 feet without taking it off)

6) Last but not least...they knock dirt off the plate with their foot...alot!:eek:

Oh, and Rob Drake had to make a HUGE call at the plate tonight in the Braves/ Marlins game. The commentator had it right when he said it wasn't a bang bang play, it was a bang play.

It just illustrates my crazy umpire mindset that I was more impressed with the fact that he could make the right call so quickly rather than being impressed that Yunel Escobar made such a perfect throw to Brian McCann. It made the play so much more exciting.