Reebok Field Magistrate Plate Shoes

JordanF
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5443 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have found a site that currently has the new reebok plate shoes in both mid and low versions. There seems to be a lot of white on the shoe and was wondering what the consensus was. Has anybody tried them on or used them? Will they eventually be available in all black, or will umpires have to black out all the white or or keep the white clean and sharp?

Here's the link to them

Mid http://www.sossports.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=628

Low http://www.sossports.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=627

Jordan

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the NB 350s for the bases and cannot say enough about them. I currently have the Honigs K80 plate shoes but they are wearing out and I want a mid top shoe and came across the reeboks. They do look "different" than other plate shoes. I definately prefer all black shoes as they are much easier to shine and don't stick out. Maybe I will make a trip down to Honigs if they get them in stock anytime soon and check them out in person.

my opinion is that there is just too much white going on..it goes beyond the athletic look and is nearing tacky....although that should not present too big a problem as the white could be blacked out sufficently...

I have 2 sets of shoes as one association does not allow any white....although I will admit, I never blacked out the +POS logo on my plate shoes....

Since +POS is no longer with us I will be searching for a new plate shoe in the next year or so...I have heard rave reviews about the NB, but just cant get past the big moon boot soles......

I will look into the Davis Plate shoes....

Edited by Stan W.

I tend to agree, the NB plate shoes have a big sole and I'm not a big fan of that style. I think if the reeboks were a quality product it might me worth blacking them out, or if they are popular enough they may eventually come in all black. I have a pair of base shoes from reebok that are all black and am really happy with them, they shine up real nice and are very comfortable. If they get some good reviews, they may be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you love the NB 350 for the bases, You'll definately love the NB 450 plate shoes. They are being discontinued after '08 so get them while they're hot. It's basically a steel toed basketball shoe with a lace flap for protection. Very comfortable and very light. Only comes in Mid-top.

• 1 month later...

I have seen people with the NB blackened out and they seem to like them. Most people I know just you a big Sharpie and black out all the white. Sharpies are waterproof and that combined with black shoe polish should keep the shoe black enough. Though it may take a couple of layers of black Sharpie.

I just bought a pair yesterday. I tried Them on and they felt good.

What I liked abt them was the top foot guard wraps over the foot.

It protects the front knuckle of the foot. I have gout and was looking for some

protection in this area. I think they are ugly but I didn't get 'em for looks.

Scrimmages start in feb so we will see how they do.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the nice review. I am looking for some new shoes for maybe this year, or next year. From what I have heard using model paint works well to black out shoes, but I have not tried this yet. I have a pair of beat up NBs that I was thinking of trying this idea out on. I will let ya'll know if I do and how it works.

Mine don't look like the ones in your blog. I got the ones that look like the ones on the website. I don't mind the white so much. They clean up real nice and dirt comes right off. Personally I do wish they would look different but they are so comfortable and are moreso than even my regular shoes. I have a terrible time finding shoes that are even remotely comfortable. I'll deal with the white for the functionality.

NB shoes aren't the nicest looking plate shoe but they are functional with a not an entirely objectionable logo. The Reebok shoe is WAAAAY too much white logo. I don't care if they are the most comfortable shoe ever made, they are still ugly and won't find their way into my bag. JMHO