Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5200 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

If this didn't get you started on your umpire journey, nothing did.

And if it doesn't inspire you now, just quit.

Andy becomes the most despised person in Mayberry when he calls Opie out at home plate in a baseball game against arch rival Mt. Pilot. Factoid: This episode was written by Ron Howard's father, Rance. Ron often mentions this episode as his personal favorite.

OK you just saw the play. Now, go get a cold one and watch this whole 10 minute clip from the show. Watch that base umpire give the hitch-hiking signal. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqKsoI9EZM

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Rest In Peace, Andy. The world is a better place because of you

Posted

Living not too far from Andy Griffith. He looks and sounds exactly like my late grandfather. I'll have to find a picture to post. Both had that great Northeastern NC accent.

He lived in the county immediately south of me on Roanoke Island. About 5 yrs ago I was going out with my friend on his boat screwing around on the sound and as we went by the island Andy was out on a John Deere utility vehicle cleaning up some debris on the shore of his property. We waved to him and he gave us the biggest, warmest, most genuine smile and wave back. But that was my only encounter with him.

But it would be really hard to find anybody who would say a cross word about him.

RIP Andy.

Posted

I have always thought it was the best series ever. I also am a fair expert on Andy Griffith trivia. I was not aware that Ron Howard's dad wrote the umpire episode.

Posted

This was a great memory! I will be whistling that song all night now!

Having four sons myself, I have umpired a handfull of games with them in it. I punched my one son out and needed a food tester for about a week at the house. :lol:


×
×
  • Create New...