Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5797 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Since my first game umpiring when I was asked, as a Dad in the bleachers, to umpire my son's Little League fall ball AA game, I have only ever umpired on the small diamond (46/60 and 50/70) until Friday night.

My AAU assignor asked me to do a game Friday night and I just assumed it was for the 11U game at that location, but when I arrived he told me I was doing the 14U game on the adjacent field instead. I decided not to tell him that I had never done the big diamond, nor games above 12U. I did the game solo and had a great time. Took a hard shot off of an 80 mph inside fastball that was fouled off on a bunt attempt. Hit my mask right at the chin area and spun my mask slightly. The Featherweight did its job nicely.

I thought this game was easier than umpiring younger kids. The players are much better (esp the catchers) and the tags are more crisp and definite. I had one lapse of concentration where R1 was stealing and the pitch came inside to a LH batter. I called the pitch a ball and was caught off guard when the pitcher asked why I called a ball because the batter swung. I asked my assignor, who was there at the time, about it and he said it was a late swing and not to beat myself up. Good lesson in any case as I need to keep my attention on the pitch and not get distracted by the runner and trying to get angle too early. If I had a BU, then no issue as it would be his responsibility.

In any case, I got several, "great job" comments after the game from both fans and my assignor, so I feel good about my performance. Looking forward to doing more big diamond!

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

You will find the higher level games are much easier to do (assuming you have good mechanics). I personally find it harder to adjust and do the younger kids games. I only did 3 U12 games this season and thought my zone was everywhere (too tight to begin with and probably too big to finish with). I was also blown away by the uneducated coaches, as they brought up just about every baseball rule myth I've ever heard.

And on a funny note, when you mentioned the ball called on the late swing, I immediatly thought of the scene from "Rookie of the Year" where the kid swings way late at the pitch and the umpire calls ball four.

Posted

Congrats! And yes Higher levels are much more comfortable to officiate. Notice I didn't say easier. They seem easier because they are more comfortable in that players and coaches are indeed better. Makes for better games.

Sometimes after working several higher games then moving to a 10U game it is hard to adjust. Find myself concentrating in not calling balks for the first couple innings.

Posted

Why didn't your assignor step in as BU? Are the games only scheduled as 1-man?

He's in charge of the league and has to keep an eye on 6 games that are being played at a time. All the games are 1-man games. I'm his newest guy, so I think he was keeping a closer eye on my game. I am trying to work up to umpiring tournaments for him where I can get several games in a day which are all 2-man games. There are several tournaments coming up in December and January, so I hope to prove myself to him by then.

Thanks for all the comments - it feels good to keep improving and moving up.

Posted

Good job. 90ft is easier because the players are better and coaches are better but it sure is not fun one man. I have done my share but it is far easier to make mistakes in one man.


×
×
  • Create New...