Career change.

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4113 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am currently a teacher but getting laid off because of budget cuts. I'm not sure I want to teach anymore and was offered a job back in car sales. I know I'll make a lot more money selling cars but the hours could be a problem. Does anyone on here work in sales and manage to still ump. I really don't want to give up umpiring, but I also need to do what is best for my family.

I am currently a teacher but getting laid off because of budget cuts. I'm not sure I want to teach anymore and was offered a job back in car sales. I know I'll make a lot more money selling cars but the hours could be a problem. Does anyone on here work in sales and manage to still ump. I really don't want to give up umpiring, but I also need to do what is best for my family.

My mother is a very good sales person and can not make any money in car sales. She said the that car sales are dead right now. I don't know where you are right now but they need teachers in the south really bad!!!

First off Trig, sorry to hear.

Secondly, do a nice big-ole Google search and I'm sure you're find areas of the country (states) looking for teachers. Remember, ... you've got a degree doing what you do, and it's what you do best. Don't give up on that right away .... look around. God knows this country needs good teachers, but maybe not right now in your specific area!

GOOD LUCK!

I was in car sales for 3+ years, the money was great but the hours were not. I was recently married with a child on the way when I started. After working 6 days a week, 8AM to 8PM, my wife and I decided it was not worth the extra money. Our daughter was growing up and I was missing most of it. I am still in sales but the industry I am in now works 8-5 M-F, and it is great! I have evenings and weekends to umpire.

Somewhere there is a small town that needs a good teacher. That town has a couple baseball leagues which need a good umpire.

There is a HS association that is well run and embraces good umpires.

It would be a tragedy for this country to lose ANOTHER good teacher.

Find that town and get there.

Thanks everyone. I would love toove but that's not an option for many reasons. One we just bought a house and the market dropped so we owe more than its worth. Two we have a 1 year old and it would kill our parents as well as we would lose our support system. I guess I'll just try to tough it out on unemployment. I think I slept 3 hours total yesterday because my mind was racing about all of this.

Thanks everyone. I would love toove but that's not an option for many reasons. One we just bought a house and the market dropped so we owe more than its worth. Two we have a 1 year old and it would kill our parents as well as we would lose our support system. I guess I'll just try to tough it out on unemployment. I think I slept 3 hours total yesterday because my mind was racing about all of this.

If moving isn't an option, are there other ways you could apply your skills in the local area? Things like corporate training, tutoring, getting a math certification to make finding another teaching job a bit easier perhaps? Maybe it won't be a full replacement, but there may be some ways to supplement your income to tide you over. Ebay, sports officiating (pick up other sports to minimize downtime?), real estate, etc....maybe none of them will be a living but you could stack them up to help.

Maybe as part of your job resume, you put umpire on there, go to the high school (regardless of your license) and tell the AD, that you'll take all of his lower level games. "Need somebody for lower level basketball? Perfect, I'll take all of those too."

Maybe put moving up the umpire ladder on hold for a bit and leverage what you have now to get in good with a school district.

Good luck...being a new teacher blows...but if you can get back in, the long term is great.

Sorry to hear that, my friend. We pump BILLIONS of dollars into schools in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. Yet here, we are closing them for lack of funds. Anyone else think this is f***ed up?

• Like 1

Without getting too political, we also dump billions into welfare. There is such an abuse of the system that most of it is fraudulent misuse of money. The people on welfare now all the laws and how to get more money for nothing. The more they get the more they expect. Investigate welfare claims and stop paying the people who are just living off of it and our entire country will rebound.

Without getting too political, we also dump billions into welfare. There is such an abuse of the system that most of it is fraudulent misuse of money. The people on welfare now all the laws and how to get more money for nothing. The more they get the more they expect. Investigate welfare claims and stop paying the people who are just living off of it and our entire country will rebound.

If you consider Social Security, Medicare, etc. as "welfare", you would be right. Most don't consider those social programs welfare though. There is abuse of social programs (food stamps, etc), but the money misused for those programs pales in comparison to what we've spent in Iraq/Afghanistan in the last 10+ years.

• 8 months later...