Can the pitcher do this?

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4415 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

R1

RHP (10u) is in his windup postion with both feet on the rubber with his hands together.

Facing the plate he slides his free foot directly towards first and tries to pickoff R1.

I've never seen THIS move before and I'm thinking that this is a balk... but he did step directly toward 1st...

Sounds like a balk to me. 6-1-2 says there's only 2 things a pitcher can do in the windup - deliver a pitch or step backwards off the plate with the pivot foot. This is neither. Balk.

Edited to add: I just assumed that FED rules applied given the age group, which may not be a valid assumption.

R1

RHP (10u) is in his windup postion with both feet on the rubber with his hands together.

Facing the plate he slides his free foot directly towards first and tries to pickoff R1.

I've never seen THIS move before and I'm thinking that this is a balk... but he did step directly toward 1st...

Legal in OBR based rules like LL, Dixie, Ripken, USSSA, PONY, etc.

Not legal in HS rules (which are only used by AAU at this age level).

R1

What rule set are you using?