Infield Fly Ball Responsibilities

jnazz
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5085 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In the 2 Man system, with BU in B or C, what are the standard for fly ball/ line drive responsibilities on balls hit within the infield? I've always thought that anything that brings F4 or F6 up the middle is U1's call and everything else is PU. I've also worked with partners that only key off F3 and F5 (ie. anything that brings them to the lines is PU's call and everything else is BU). I always make sure we're on the same page before games, but I'd like to know the standard.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give you the baseball canada version here. B / P3 or C / P4 are irrelavent as far as coverage goes:

If the ball takes F3 or F5 forward, backward, or into the middle of the diamond, BU has primary responsibility. If it is toward the foul line for either fielder, PU takes it. F4 and F6 are all BU. This appears to be consitent with Jim Evans' Maximizing the Two-Umpire System book.

Now, this is certainly pre-game worthy. One instance comes to mind this year, where F5 dives left when I am BU in P4 / C, and clearly traps the ball. As I am making the no catch mechanic, my birdbrain partner comes up with "that's a catch". Awesome. Don't ask.

Now, you will have instances where coverage is a "grey" area or something will lead to the primary umpire being blocked out. In this instance, you need some sort of signal indicating the primary umpire wishes to transfer responsibility of the call to the secondary umpire. I have one with a partner I work with on at least a weekly basis...its quite simple. If I want to transfer, I "brush" my right hip with my right hand. I then look back to him. If he taps his chest, he will follow shortly with his call. If he does the same mechanic back to me, then he too has nothing on the play, and as primary umpire, I must make the call. Keep in mind this must be done swiftly and discretely, however, it is quite effective - one weekend ago I was working the selection camp for Team Ontario, which is also used as a development oppourtunity for umpires. Said partner and I were working together, granted, in a 3-Man, and employed it to perfection, earning high praise from the evaluators observing the game.

I can give you the baseball canada version here. B / P3 or C / P4 are irrelavent as far as coverage goes:

If the ball takes F3 or F5 forward, backward, or into the middle of the diamond, BU has primary responsibility. If it is toward the foul line for either fielder, PU takes it. F4 and F6 are all BU. This appears to be consitent with Jim Evans' Maximizing the Two-Umpire System book.

Now, this is certainly pre-game worthy. One instance comes to mind this year, where F5 dives left when I am BU in P4 / C, and clearly traps the ball. As I am making the no catch mechanic, my birdbrain partner comes up with "that's a catch". Awesome. Don't ask.

Now, you will have instances where coverage is a "grey" area or something will lead to the primary umpire being blocked out. In this instance, you need some sort of signal indicating the primary umpire wishes to transfer responsibility of the call to the secondary umpire. I have one with a partner I work with on at least a weekly basis...its quite simple. If I want to transfer, I "brush" my right hip with my right hand. I then look back to him. If he taps his chest, he will follow shortly with his call. If he does the same mechanic back to me, then he too has nothing on the play, and as primary umpire, I must make the call. Keep in mind this must be done swiftly and discretely, however, it is quite effective - one weekend ago I was working the selection camp for Team Ontario, which is also used as a development oppourtunity for umpires. Said partner and I were working together, granted, in a 3-Man, and employed it to perfection, earning high praise from the evaluators observing the game.

This is the same as CCA, with the PU having all of F2's catches, and F1 coming toward home plate. BU has F1 in all other directions.

A closely related issue - What do you do with a partner who keeps "poaching" your calls. We have had pre-game meetings where I remind him:

Ty: "When I am in A, you have F8 to the 3B line, i have F8 moving to the 1B line. When i am inside I have the V - LF and RF moving toward center; you take LF and RF moving to the lines."

Partner: " Yup - okay"

But he continues to call fly ball outs to CF, standing 5 feet in front of the plate while i am working in B or C. Yesterdays game, I am in A, foul fly ball on the first base line, 30 feet beyond the bag. I am right on top of this catch/no catch, and i hear FOUL BALL coming from my partner, (yes F3 did drop the ball).

Those times that i do go out from A on a trouble ball and this guy is no where to be seen on the inside of the diamond. How does one diplomatically instruct this person?

A closely related issue - What do you do with a partner who keeps "poaching" your calls. We have had pre-game meetings where I remind him:

Ty: "When I am in A, you have F8 to the 3B line, i have F8 moving to the 1B line. When i am inside I have the V - LF and RF moving toward center; you take LF and RF moving to the lines."

Partner: " Yup - okay"

But he continues to call fly ball outs to CF, standing 5 feet in front of the plate while i am working in B or C. Yesterdays game, I am in A, foul fly ball on the first base line, 30 feet beyond the bag. I am right on top of this catch/no catch, and i hear FOUL BALL coming from my partner, (yes F3 did drop the ball).

Those times that i do go out from A on a trouble ball and this guy is no where to be seen on the inside of the diamond. How does one diplomatically instruct this person?

Depends how much you like the guy.

If you would work with him again, pop down to see him between innings and go "remember, if the fly ball goes .... then it's my call."

If the guy is a total loser who you hope to never be paired up with again, visit and say something more like "if you keep stepping on my toes and it results in a double call, I am going to sell you out so fast to the manager you won't know what hit you." :WTF

Absolutely! If i am going out, i say so. Along with the standard signs for IFR, time play, 1st to 3rd coverage, etc. I have gone to him between innings and "reminded" him of coverage. But he insists....... As far as working or not working with him.. Hmm..... around wyo. we can't be very selective in who we work with, most of the time we are thankful that there are two semi-qualified people on the field. : )

Right on!! As i review this thread, i have come to the following conclusions

(A) I need to review the 2 umpire system manual. and (:D I need to let him read this manual. : ) ty From the conversations we have had, me thinks he gets a great deal of his mechanics information via video - aka MLB and NCAA games on tv.