Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5959 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

For some reason this season I've taken several cup shots. I am working a lot of 9U this spring so there is probably some correlation. In any case, had 4 games this past Saturday for 9U playoffs (in pretty stifling heat). I had the plate for the last 2. 2nd inning of my first game an inside fastball by one of the harder throwers in the league goes totally uncaught by the catcher and gets me right in the boys:agasp_:. I had come out of my crouch just a bit too quickly and opened myself up for the shot.

No pain or anything serious but a sound unlike any shot I've taken this year. Did my 2 plate games then 2 7U machine pitch games that my assignor asked me to take at the last moment, no issues. Got home and got all the gear off and found about a 2 inch split right down the center of the cup I had on (basic Shock Doctor BioFlex), I guess that the funny sound was the cup cracking.

Went out yesterday and bought a Shock Doctor steel cup :rollinglaugh:, I don't think that will break!. Surprisingly my local Dick's Sporting Goods had it for the same prices I have seen online. Will give that a go for tomorrow night's 9U second round.

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

For some reason this season I've taken several cup shots. I am working a lot of 9U this spring so there is probably some correlation. In any case, had 4 games this past Saturday for 9U playoffs (in pretty stifling heat). I had the plate for the last 2. 2nd inning of my first game an inside fastball by one of the harder throwers in the league goes totally uncaught by the catcher and gets me right in the boys:agasp_:. I had come out of my crouch just a bit too quickly and opened myself up for the shot.

No pain or anything serious but a sound unlike any shot I've taken this year. Did my 2 plate games then 2 7U machine pitch games that my assignor asked me to take at the last moment, no issues. Got home and got all the gear off and found about a 2 inch split right down the center of the cup I had on (basic Shock Doctor BioFlex), I guess that the funny sound was the cup cracking.

Went out yesterday and bought a Shock Doctor steel cup :rollinglaugh:, I don't think that will break!. Surprisingly my local Dick's Sporting Goods had it for the same prices I have seen online. Will give that a go for tomorrow night's 9U second round.

Get a NuttyBuddy and you won't feel another shot to the boys!!!!!

Posted
I believe the BioFlex was recalled due to cracking problems... Sounds like you may have one of the defective models.
Hmmm...I did not throw it out yet so I guess I will contact Shock Doctor and get a non-defective one. Good to have a backup (or another cup to wear on the bases).
Posted
I have 3 cups in my bag. I'll go out w/o a CP before I go out without a cup.
Agree, I have a spare "XO" cup in the bag always. I wear a cup on the bases as well. Last thing I want is a 10 year old standing over me asking if my boys are OK.
Posted

Went out yesterday and bought a Shock Doctor steel cup :rollinglaugh:, I don't think that will break!. Surprisingly my local Dick's Sporting Goods had it for the same prices I have seen online. Will give that a go for tomorrow night's 9U second round.

How Ironic!

Posted

One time I bought my son a new Easton Stealth at Chick's. My wife went off on me when she saw the $300-plus charge on our statement. She thought Chick's was a strip club! :hopmad::rollinglaugh:

Then Chick's was bought out by Dick's.

I went into Dick's, and bought him a new glove and some other stuff for college. When that $300-plus charge appeared on the statement, she didn't say a word. :bang:

Posted

Anyone else ever had a problem with the red ring around the Nutty Buddy coming off....mine is and without it, the NB seems to move around a bit between my jock and compression pants.

I sent a note to Nutty Buddy..but sometimes the tricks that we come up with one here work better than the factory suggestion.

I guess I could glue it, but I would not want it to get all hard and brittle.

Posted

"I would not want it to get all hard and brittle. "

That's NOT what she said. (grin)

Posted

I knew my post would draw some sarcasm...but seriously, has anyone else had that problem with their Nutty Buddy.

Posted

Anyone else ever had a problem with the red ring around the Nutty Buddy coming off....mine is and without it, the NB seems to move around a bit between my jock and compression pants.

I sent a note to Nutty Buddy..but sometimes the tricks that we come up with one here work better than the factory suggestion.

I guess I could glue it, but I would not want it to get all hard and brittle.

Good choice of words considering this thread topic :spit:

Posted

I knew my post would draw some sarcasm...but seriously, has anyone else had that problem with their Nutty Buddy.

I have a problem with your forsaking the use of a question mark.

Posted

But really, you pay $28 for a friggin' cup, and it's defective, SEND IT BACK!! Replacing a defective unit is built into the exorbitant price of the Nutty Buddy. It's the American way: Don't make it high quality in the first place, cut corners and just replace the ones that suck; it's much more profitable that way.

Mine was so unwieldy and uncomfortable, I sent it back; not because of any defect. I would have trashed it, if it had cost a reasonable amount of money, but there were 28 reasons to return it.

Return yours.

Posted

But really, you pay $28 for a friggin' cup, and it's defective, SEND IT BACK!! Replacing a defective unit is built into the exorbitant price of the Nutty Buddy. It's the American way: Don't make it high quality in the first place, cut corners and just replace the ones that suck; it's much more profitable that way.

Mine was so unwieldy and uncomfortable, I sent it back; not because of any defect. I would have trashed it, if it had cost a reasonable amount of money, but there were 28 reasons to return it.

Return yours.

Ditto :spit:

I used my three times and have yet to figure out why I purchased it in the first place. :HS

Posted

I took my first cup shot a couple of weeks ago. 1BC heard it hit. The bad part is the ball bounced right at the catcher and caught me between the cup and the boys. I did a double take and went on to the next pitch with my hands supporting my weight on my knees. Needless to say, I have found a way to keep the MOST IMPORTANT piece of safety equipment in its proper place.

Posted

im a nutty buddy fan...it is my 1st comfortable cup..i've taken two shots so far...one up and under, which fealt pretty much like any other one up and under....and one straight on which i didnt feel at all...i think the protection is equal or greater to a standard cup and its much more confortable....and very easy to slip on or off...

Posted

Well, tried out my new "GPD" (Groin Protection Device according to my 13 year old son) last night and I will say this is the most comfortable cup I have ever worn. Did not get a chance to "test" it, but did 2 plate games in mid-80's heat and was very comfortable. Plus I had peace of mind that my "stuff" was well protected.

I hesitated to spend $25 on this, but after wearing it I am glad I did.

Posted

Nutty Buddy customer service got back to me yesterday. They recommended super glue. I am going to give it a shot.

If that does not work to my satisfaction, I can send it back to them along with $10 and they will send me another one. Not too bad of deal considering I bought it in early 2009.

As for the overall price, the Nutty Buddy is only $5 more than the shock doctor stainless steel cup, so I do not feel that it is that extravagant of a purchase (the MVP4000sl that I purchased yesterday to use along with my Shock F/X 2.0 falls in the extravagant category). Personally, the Nutty Buddy is the most comfortable cup I have worn. I have not tried the shock doctor stainless steel one.

Not sure if the Nutty Buddy is more comfortable because it is warn between a jock and compression shorts or if it is the shape, but I can barely tell that I have it on.

Posted

Slo-

I have used my XO cup for 3 years and have not had to glue anything....if it gets to the point of needing glue, I'm sure $10 will cover the cost of a new one. :wow: So doing the quick math...purchased for $24 w/sliding pants included, used 3 years, no glue required and can get a total replacement for less than shipping required to replace Nutty....priceless :HS Plus not to mention the fact that I have a cup that stays in place and does not have the funny bulges on the sides that cut into my legs...I feel pretty good about my investment. :nod: :cheers:


×
×
  • Create New...