Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5964 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Crazy situation:

Babe Ruth U12 All Star Game - I am BU, 1 Out R1 and R2. F1 pitches I call a Balk. Hitter Hits a liner down 3rd base line. R1 and R2 score hitter is now between 2nd and 3d, throw comes in to 3rd, BR starts to head back to second but F5 tries to throw him out but drill BR on the back of the head. BR drops to the ground. No play is attempted on the the BR. Coaches come running out to tend to BR on the ground. (I was ok with that).

So while they are looking at BR, HC for defensive team goes to PU and ask why if I called balk did we let the play go on. Should be a Dead Ball. PU had no idea what the ruling was. To his credit he didn't kill the play.

So I have to explain the whole FED and OBR thing to everyone. I must have sounded like I knew what I was talking about since everyone was ok with it.

So all that is settled and BR is headed back to 2nd. So here comes DC. Says BR should be out. So I have to explain again that no one tagged him out. He said they didnt for safety to BR. I told him I couldn't just call him out for no reason. he shook his head and left.

I never got any help from PU on all of this.

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Crazy situation:

Babe Ruth U12 All Star Game - I am BU, 1 Out R1 and R2. F1 pitches I call a Balk. Hitter Hits a liner down 3rd base line. R1 and R2 score hitter is now between 2nd and 3d, throw comes in to 3rd, BR starts to head back to second but F5 tries to throw him out but drill BR on the back of the head. BR drops to the ground. No play is attempted on the the BR. Coaches come running out to tend to BR on the ground. (I was ok with that).

So while they are looking at BR, HC for defensive team goes to PU and ask why if I called balk did we let the play go on. Should be a Dead Ball. PU had no idea what the ruling was. To his credit he didn't kill the play.

So I have to explain the whole FED and OBR thing to everyone. I must have sounded like I knew what I was talking about since everyone was ok with it.

So all that is settled and BR is headed back to 2nd. So here comes DC. Says BR should be out. So I have to explain again that no one tagged him out. He said they didnt for safety to BR. I told him I couldn't just call him out for no reason. he shook his head and left.

I never got any help from PU on all of this.

So from your description of the pay, all baserunners and the batter runner avanced at least 1 base right??Balk?? what balk??? play on and get the kid some Tylenol. Oh and tell your partner he needs to look up OBR rule 8.05.:)

Posted

Its not a hard thing to do. Thats why we need interpretation guides, rules suppliments, forums....

Especially for noobs like me :censored: In this situation, had BR been tagged, I could see getting A LOT of flak from OC for calling an "incapacitated" BR out. Anyone experience this before?

Posted
Especially for noobs like me :) In this situation, had BR been tagged, I could see getting A LOT of flak from OC for calling an "incapacitated" BR out. Anyone experience this before?
We had a thread a few weeks ago discussing this and the consensus was that unless there is a serious injury you do not call time and the play continues. The coach's reaction is really not a consideration when making the call, our job is to manage that after we make the right call. It's a judgement call whether or not to kill the play because of injury. If you don't call time then you have to make all calls on the play.
Posted

Yes, I have had this and you let play go unless it is life threantening. This is relaxed the younger they are. We had a case in HS this year where a kid blew his knee on the swing, made it a step out of the box and that was it. However two runs scored on the one hop to the centerfield fence, but was tagged out when the ball returned to the infield. While it was a serious injury, reconstructive surgery, it wasn't life threatening and medical assistance could wait until the play was done.

Posted

Especially for noobs like me :P In this situation, had BR been tagged, I could see getting A LOT of flak from OC for calling an "incapacitated" BR out. Anyone experience this before?

If the outfielders collide, then the coach will want the runners to keep going until the play ends. This is just the other side of the coin.

Sometimes, s*** happens.


×
×
  • Create New...