Umpires shouldn't "talk" with thier hands.

Triguy29
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4539 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In one of my first games behind the plate I'm working a fairly competitive 14u leauge. I was told by another umpire about mapping your calls to avoid complaints, which I've since stopped doing, and I call a ball high. However, at the same time I raise my hand to show where the ball was when I called ball. The combination of call and hand motion looked like a strike call and the coach yells "what are you talking about" to which I was confused because I just called a ball. I said it was high, and he asks then why did you call a strike. I then realized what happened and apologized and everyone understood and had a laugh at my expense. I no longer use my hands or map pitches.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mapping or giving extra info on your calls will ultimately bite you. Stay away away from it. I know you see guys in MLB and at the CWS saying things like "Ball, away"

Ultimately when you miss one, the question will come, where was that one blue? And you've set yourself up for failure.

Call it what it is. If asked tell them where the pitch was but don't let then make a habit of it.

But talking/working with your catchers can be a good thing. If they properly ask where it was work with them even if they don't ask but you can sense that they're thinking tell them. It will help them adjust and help you get strikes. A good catcher wants to find where your limits are versus the last guy behind the plate and take advantage of it.

If I am working a level that the catcher understands, I will call a ball, and to him, I will say something about bring him up, bring him in or a little up. That is not all game but when a pitcher first starts. After that if he asks I will answer, again if he understands how to ask. I won't, as part of my call, vocalize location or show with my hands.

If they hold the ball trying to sell it. I will say bring it in or it's low. If they just throw the ball back they know where it missed.

I don't recommend it but but you do what is comfortable to you. I am sure others will chime with their opinions.

If they hold it, that means they thought you should be calling it a strike.; The only thing I'm telling him is to throw the damn ball back. A smart catcher will throw it back and ask, off or low? Answer that. don't answer the holder.

+1

If they're holding the frickin' ball on me, they're not getting much beyond a sharp, "Throw it back. I know where it was!"

Now, if they ask nicely, I'll probably answer.