Speaking of creased caps...

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4580 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On another thread, caps , creased and uncreased are being discussed (Ball bag suggestion thread). I don't want to hijack that thread so I wanted to start a new one on a similar topic.

Look what I noticed the other day will watching the Martinez, HBP video ....

Only 4 out of the 6 are creased ....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look, but have had a difficult time achieving the look...

There are a couple of ways to do it. One way is to use a damp towel and iron the crease into the front of the cap. Be careful if you use an iron though, because the iron can singe the wool if you touch the hat with it directly. The other way is to make the crease by hand and then fold the bill of the hat against the crease, then place a rubber band around the hat and let it set overnight.

Tim.

Around here, if you want to move up, you crease.

All the best assignors and virtually all of the guys who get the best games crease. I own dozens and dozens (hundreds, perhaps) of ball caps and I crease none of them. But I crease every umpire cap I wear.

Yesterday, I worked a scrimmage with the two assignors that give me most of my games throughout the year. They both do (and prefer that you do) the all-around crease (probably called a military crease), where the cap is folded and pressed, leaving a crease on the back of the cap as well.

Then you fold it over the bill and store it like Tim described, and the front stays really sharp.

They both do (and prefer that you do) the all-around crease (probably called a military crease), where the cap is folded and pressed, leaving a crease on the back of the cap as well.

Then you fold it over the bill and store it like Tim described, and the front stays really sharp.

Anybody want to take a stab at creating a photo-enhanced sequence of step by step instructions on how to do this? I've read descriptions of this, but I can't really figure it out. Even a picture of what your hat looks like folded up for storage would be nice.

They both do (and prefer that you do) the all-around crease (probably called a military crease), where the cap is folded and pressed, leaving a crease on the back of the cap as well.

Anybody want to take a stab at creating a photo-enhanced sequence of step by step instructions on how to do this? I've read descriptions of this, but I can't really figure it out. Even a picture of what your hat looks like folded up for storage would be nice.

Coming.

I did a quick iphone shot of the crease and the fold. The process photo array will have to come later.

110_0907-1.jpg

Guys, I store may hats with the front folded down to the bill, that back is then pulled over the bill. I always get a "dip" just behing the crease and the button tilts forward...not to mention sits on my head while wearing it...

this is a link to how I do it...I'll try to post pics later..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eiGopdFr_bc

You mean, like this?

110_0907-1.jpg

Guys, I store may hats with the front folded down to the bill, that back is then pulled over the bill. I always get a "dip" just behing the crease and the button tilts forward...not to mention sits on my head while wearing it...

You mean, like this?

Kevin, it's similar, but not quite the same. You take the back of the hat and actually wrap it over the bill. Watch the video and it will make more sense.

You mean, like this?

Kevin, it's similar, but not quite the same. You take the back of the hat and actually wrap it over the bill. Watch the video and it will make more sense.

What he said...

You mean, like this?

To store it in that cap keeper, you don't quite have to curl the headband over the front. They press up against each other and stay blocked. That other step is for keeping a single cap blocked. This way keeps that back crease sharp too.

You mean, like this?

Dont do this your umpire Cap... fold it on top of the fold you already made, just like Kevin's.. it's really not that hard.

Mazz...Why don't you want to fold a cap with the band over the brim? Just askin'. I liked the look and could find nothing on how to fold them. I dug thru some old threads and came up with one dealing with folding caps. I did a couple of google searches and found the youtube vid...seemed logical to me.

Mazz...Why don't you want to fold a cap with the band over the brim? Just askin'. I liked the look and could find nothing on how to fold them. I dug thru some old threads and came up with one dealing with folding caps. I did a couple of google searches and found the youtube vid...seemed logical to me.

if you fold it like in Kevins Pic.. it will get you the extra crease on the back of your hat as well.. and when all said and done, it looks pretty good.

if you fold it like in Kevins Pic.. it will get you the extra crease on the back of your hat as well.. and when all said and done, it looks pretty good.

;)