Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6023 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Guys, I just received my IHSA ump certification this spring. I've only done 2 games as an ump (hundreds as coach and player) and I respect the opinions given in this forum. I've searched the thousands of balk situations and after my eyes glazed over I decided to post instead.

R1 is leading off 1B. F3 is not holding him on, instead he's in a regular defensive position behind R1. F1 is a righty and he's on the rubber, set.

F1 lifts his right foot, steps back off the rubber and throws to 1B. F3 sees this and dives to the base to catch the ball. R1 returns safely.

I'm thinking F1 stepped back, off the rubber, so now he's a fielder. He can throw, not throw, or over-throw if he wants, but it's not a balk. Between innings DC, calmly, tells me he thought F3 had to be at the base to receive the throw otherwise it's a balk. I tell him my view and he walks off, no argument.

Was I right?

Thanks!

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Guys, I just received my IHSA ump certification this spring. I've only done 2 games as an ump (hundreds as coach and player) and I respect the opinions given in this forum. I've searched the thousands of balk situations and after my eyes glazed over I decided to post instead.

R1 is leading off 1B. F3 is not holding him on, instead he's in a regular defensive position behind R1. F1 is a righty and he's on the rubber, set.

F1 lifts his right foot, steps back off the rubber and throws to 1B. F3 sees this and dives to the base to catch the ball. R1 returns safely.

I'm thinking F1 stepped back, off the rubber, so now he's a fielder. He can throw, not throw, or over-throw if he wants, but it's not a balk. Between innings DC, calmly, tells me he thought F3 had to be at the base to receive the throw otherwise it's a balk. I tell him my view and he walks off, no argument.

Was I right?

Thanks!

Yes

Posted

F3 does not have to be at the base, but he must be moving in to make a play on R1 if the pitcher tries a pickoff...

Even if the pitcher has stepped off? At this point, he's a fielder. Wouldn't he be allowed to throw to an F3 away from the bag in that instance, since he's trying to drive the runner back? Or am I just asking a dumb d@mn question at this point?

But still, F3 doesn't have to be at the base, or even moving in to make a play, as long as F1 throws to the base. Even if F3 stood there like a statue - as long as the throw's at the base, it's not a balk. Dumb play, sure, but not a balk.

Posted

Yup, good [non] call.

I had a coach last fall that absolutely begged and pleaded with me to call a balk on F1 stepping off the back and faking to first. I and his coaches were adamant about it.

I asked him what rule he was looking at.. his response...

"We googled it."

:rollinglaugh:

Posted

Even if the pitcher has stepped off? At this point, he's a fielder. Wouldn't he be allowed to throw to an F3 away from the bag in that instance, since he's trying to drive the runner back? Or am I just asking a dumb d@mn question at this point?

But still, F3 doesn't have to be at the base, or even moving in to make a play, as long as F1 throws to the base. Even if F3 stood there like a statue - as long as the throw's at the base, it's not a balk. Dumb play, sure, but not a balk.

I believe you are right if he steps off he can throw to the fielder. If he doesnt step off he must throw to the bag.

Posted

If the pitcher disengages the rubber, he can throw the ball to the centrefielder, catcher, or batboy at no penalty.

If the pitcher is engaged with the rubber, he must throw to a fielder in reasonable proximity to an occupied base.

Posted

If the pitcher disengages the rubber, he can throw the ball to the centrefielder, catcher, or batboy at no penalty.

Except delay of game but nothing to do with a balk.

If the pitcher is engaged with the rubber, he must throw to a fielder in reasonable proximity to an occupied base.

He must throw to the fielder in reasonable proximity of first. Second and third are different.

Posted

Even if the pitcher has stepped off? At this point, he's a fielder. Wouldn't he be allowed to throw to an F3 away from the bag in that instance, since he's trying to drive the runner back? Or am I just asking a dumb d@mn question at this point?

But still, F3 doesn't have to be at the base, or even moving in to make a play, as long as F1 throws to the base. Even if F3 stood there like a statue - as long as the throw's at the base, it's not a balk. Dumb play, sure, but not a balk.

yes if he steps off he does not have to throw..

Posted

Ha!

This happened in a 5A varsity game I worked tonight.

LHP for home team.

Bases loaded. For whatever reason, F1 is in the stretch.

He disengages, and snaps a throw to 1B. And F3 is the most surprised player at the ballpark, as he's 10 feet off the bag, and the ball sails to the fence.

I was surprised, too, and barely contained a laugh... :WTF :o


×
×
  • Create New...