Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5489 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

while at my second least favorite place on earth this weekend i saw sams club had a great deal on a case of hand warmers. a case of 28 pairs for 9 bucks and some change. i picked up one for the fall/ early spring.

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

while at my second least favorite place on earth this weekend i saw sams club had a great deal on a case of hand warmers. a case of 28 pairs for 9 bucks and some change. i picked up one for the fall/ early spring.

I'm afraid to ask, your first least favorite place?

Posted

I was going to say, I can't shop at Wal-Mart, because I have some strong aversions, and one of them is to women wearing ill-fitting clothing with clearly visible bra straps.

But your photo array said so much more.

Posted

I've seen this stuff before...I have seen this stuff at Target, Kohl's, K-Mart, Sears, Dollar General, Kroger, Lowe's, Home Depot....I guess I could keep going but I won't.

The unfortunate situation where I live is...it's hard NOT to shop at Wal-Mart/Sam's club....I look at their corporate office out the window of my office EVERYDAY! Our community benefits greatly from Wal-Mart/Sam's...we have a highly educated community with great schools that demand great results in them. We attract top notch cultural events and activities due solely to Wal-Mart. We have a very diverse population with people from almost every state here to support Wal-Mart/Sam's operations...

But I see where you are coming from though...;)

Posted

A great many small stores and other businesses and a great many manufacturers, small and large have gone under due to the effects of the magnificent Wal-Mart machine. I'm glad to know that your small area is benefiting from its success.

Posted

I see both sides of the coin...I deal directly with Sam's Club on a daily basis as a supplier that sells product to them. I also see what the "Wal-Mart effect" is to towns all across America. They will tell you they have done nothing wrong in bringing lower prices to more consumers on things they need...they are right...but they have not been the best stewards of that trust either. People vote with their dollars...you have a choice.

Posted

Sorry to steal this Walmart thread but about the Hand Warmers... How long do they last?

Posted

I see both sides of the coin...I deal directly with Sam's Club on a daily basis as a supplier that sells product to them. I also see what the "Wal-Mart effect" is to towns all across America. They will tell you they have done nothing wrong in bringing lower prices to more consumers on things they need...they are right...but they have not been the best stewards of that trust either. People vote with their dollars...you have a choice.

;)

Posted

Sorry to steal this Walmart thread but about the Hand Warmers... How long do they last?

From my experience, easily a full ballgame.

I keep one in each ball bag. Every now and then, a pitcher gets a warm baseball and looks at it and looks at you kind of funny.

And one time, I overheard an elderly woman ask her son, I believe, "Why does Mr. Umpire keep fiddling with his ball sack?"

Posted

Here in the Chicago area, we get some brutally cold baseball weather during the Spring HS season.

I started using the hand warmers about 3 seasons ago, and have not used gloves since.

In my experience, the hand warmers are still generating heat at the end of a DH, and your hands are still warm, and you still have feeling in your fingertips. Which is nice, especially when you're working the plate and handling baseballs & manipulating an indicator.

Plus, it makes you look kinda' "macho".

I have had a number of coaches say things to me along the lines of, "I can't believe you're not wearing gloves on a day like this!"

I did a HS DH this past May (yes, I said May) where the temperature was 37' F, there was a light drizzle, and winds gusting over 40 mph. It was brutal, and, as luck would have it, the first game went extra innings! Bonus!

My hands were still comfortably warm at the end of the day. I keep the hand warmers in my pants pockets, and I think they help your core stay warmer as well.

I (actually my wife) also buy them by the case at Sam's.

JM

Posted

I would love some cold games. I have a couple jackets I haven't even worn yet.

It will be 85º for my LL game at 7pm tonight and 96º for my HS game at 2:30 tomorrow.

Fall (and Moneyball!) starts on Friday. 95º

Posted

In recent weeks, we've had some 102, 103 degree Sunday MSBL doubleheaders. Absolutely brutal. I can't even wait for those NCAA fall intrasquad games by the breezy Pacific, so I can use my supply of hand warmers before they go stale (if they go stale).


×
×
  • Create New...