Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6086 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this site for about a year now and finally decided to join. I have found the site to be very informative and I hope to add to it.

This will be my 8th season umpiring and I have only done LL games. I am currently a college student and this will be my second year as one of two UICs of my home LL, though it will be my fourth year training our umpires. I also umpire in and help train the umpires in the League where I go to school. I help my LL District train youth umpires as well.

  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

excellent start Tbrown.........welcome!......... I feel certain you get a lot of benefit from being an active member here...........

Posted

excellent start Tbrown.........welcome!......... I feel certain you get a lot of benefit from being an active member here...........

Being active will serve you well. Many times you will think you understand a situation but until you ask about it or try to add something you find out there was something missing. I know I have found over the years I don't truly understand something until I write in down and get corrected.

The internet is a great place to learn from guys around the country but there s a lot of misinformation out also. The guys here are really good about discussing different viewpoints without slamming each other.

Welcome to the site and jumb right in.

Posted

And just to add to MST's post, the tun around time is often pretty quick. Considering that many guys are spread across the country and different schedules. It's ALL good.........

and Welcome aboard!

Posted

Thanks everyone. While reading I have noticed how everyone on this board is respectful which allows for healthy debate (unlike some other forums)

Thank you very much this is one of the many reasons I created Umpire-Empire. I want the site to be friendly, educational and entertaining. I don't want newer umpires to be intimidated. We've all been there. A rookie's question may seem simple to many veterans, but by the very act of asking they are showing their desire to learn and improve. They can then help other umpires.

Also remember every question that is asked there are probably others who have the same question. The site is currently getting about 50 members a day who visit, but is getting over 200 visits per day from those who aren't registered.

On the flip side it's easy for a veteran to say "Google it Newbie," but the guys we have here are interested in helping others. Sure we'll disagree on rules interpretations and mechanics, but it's the debate which gets everybody thinking and just a little more prepared when they hit the field.

Posted

I am looking into purchasing an instructional CD focusing on 2 man mechanics

for the various situations that arise during a game. Any suggestions on which to order .

Thanks,

STRIKE 3

Posted

I am looking into purchasing an instructional CD focusing on 2 man mechanics

for the various situations that arise during a game. Any suggestions on which to order .

Thanks,

STRIKE 3

Though I don't own it, I plan to get this along with other learning material from the site. You will find the Virtual Umpire CD might be very helpful. If it wasn't, I don't think Jim Evans would have it on his site.

http://www.umpireacademy.com/store/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=c62934095d319bb36c250c93400e0766

Posted

On the flip side it's easy for a veteran to say "Google it Newbie," but the guys we have here are interested in helping others. Sure we'll disagree on rules interpretations and mechanics, but it's the debate which gets everybody thinking and just a little more prepared when they hit the field.

Or they tell you something as useless as "There is a search feature on the site for a reason. Do a search for ......". Instead of, "The answer is .....". That is so annoying b/c if you haven't seen the thread or don't know what search terms to use, the person will never see that thread and thus, stay ignorant of the proper ruling/mechanics. That is a very annoying answer to receive and I don't care how many times it has been discussed.

Posted

Welcome aboard TBrown. I lurk on other sites and this one, IMHO, is by far the most courteous site I've seen.

And, at least, most here understand and know when a joke is a joke when it is in the Funny section.

Posted

I am looking into purchasing an instructional CD focusing on 2 man mechanics

for the various situations that arise during a game. Any suggestions on which to order .

Thanks,

STRIKE 3

Forget the CD and get the Jim Evans Maximizing the Two-Umpire System.

Great book and will give you more information than you ever thought possible.

His Diamond Challenge and Balk DVDd are also excellent training material.


×
×
  • Create New...