NuBlue

rth54
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5269 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi everyone,

I am 55 year old college professor that loves baseball and is new at umpiring. I have, as you might imagine, no illusions (or aspirations for that matter) about professional umpiring. However, I would like to develop my skills to the highest possible level, that I might offer the highest quality umpiring at the amateur level. I am thinking of getting some kind of training but I am not sure where to begin. Any input would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, welcome to the board. It is a good start to learning your craft. There are many guys that will be that happy to share your knowledge. There are several here that are trainers in their groups. What level are you currently working and what area of the country are you? We may be able to suggest a good clinic in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the welcome! I am in So. California, Ventura County. I will be doing Little league, Pony League, and eventually NABA adult league.

I understand there is a Wendelstedt clinic in So. Cal in March. Anybody been to one of these?

Thanks.

Edited by NuBlue

I haven't to Harry's clinics but I work with several Harry grads from his five week school and they are excellent. You might want to look at the WR LL Regional school. They teach in the manner of Jim Evans, the other pro school. It will get you the LL specific rules and a good background in mechanics.

Welcome, we have a number of guys her from Southern California.

I would recommend the Wendelstedt school in So Cal. I haven't attended any of those but have attended the International Umpires Camp which is affiliated with the Wendelstedt School and thought it was great. I believe MajorDave attended the one in KY last year.

welcome nublue.........as we all were new at one time or another...........hope this turns out o be your best call yet...Lots of good people, talented umpires who are all willing to help out...

best wishes on your new avocation.........and welcome to the site.....

NuBlue, welcome aboard! The group here (as well as their knowledge) is wonderful. It's not like some of the other more popular forums where if someone doesn't agree with you, the Blue Bashing begins. Ask your questions, post your answers, sit back & enjoy!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I am trying to clarify the dates for the Wendelstedt event, but I have not heard back from them yet. Anybody have any perspective on a comparison between the Evans and Wendelstedt schools?

Thanks again for the welcome.

If you are talking about the differences in clinics, I imagine they aren't all that different. They are going to teach the basics of plate work and field work. They will have a combination of younger instructors and a little more seasoned umps but they all work at umpiring for a living and all teach at their respective schools.

If you are asking about their 5 week schools , Wendlestadt has a tendency toward live games while evans has a tendency toward game simulations. I have worked with grads from both schools and they can work.

NuBlue,

I asked that question directly to Hunter Wendelstedt. You can read the entire interview here.

On their website they don't show the specific dates in March, but I'd call them 1-800-818-1690 or email them admin(a)umpirecshool.com I bet they'd get back with you rather quickly. That has always been my experience.

NuBlue,

I asked that question directly to Hunter Wendelstedt. You can read the entire interview here.

On their website they don't show the specific dates in March, but I'd call them 1-800-818-1690 or email them admin(a)umpirecshool.com I bet they'd get back with you rather quickly. That has always been my experience.

I both called and e-mailed Wendelstedt...so far I have not heard back from them.

Thanks for the input guys...

I e-mailed Evans as well... guess I'll see who responds.

Edited by NuBlue

Heard from both Evans and Wendelstedt...Evans in about 12 hours ...and Wendelsted in a bit longer.... both were very gracious and helpful. I guess the hard part is choosing.

Just my opinion, but you cant go wrong with either.....you will come back a better umpire regardless of which school/clinic you go to......

I would choose by distance, cost aand if you are splitting cost with anybody else. Either camp is going to give you excellent instruction that you will remember for years to come. What you might want to do is go to one and then go to the other next year or the year after.

It was suggested to me years back not to attend the same clinic more than three years. After that pick another camp.

That is a good plan... I will probably go to the Wendelstedt clinic in march... relatively in expensive and within driving distance.

Got a big box of gear from ump-attire today.

I think I'm probably set for life ...lol

Here is the list... One of the masks will be going back... but i did want to try them both.

Guess I went a little crazy...lol... but I figure, get good stuff, be safe, comfortable, and, in the end, buy less often.

two majestic ump shirts from baseball savings... 1 powder 1 navy

from ump-attire...

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3210-L/XL Wilson West Vest Gold Umpire Chest Protector :

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3409-16/17 Wilson West Vest Pro Umpire Shin Guards

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RPLO-BK-105 Reebok Field Magistrate Lo Plate Shoe in Black/Black

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RMAGIS2-BL-10 Reebok All Black Field Magistrate Umpire Base Shoes

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 U2P-BK-105 Ultimate Pro Style Umpire Ball Bag

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3019-TAN Wilson Dyna Lite West Vest Umpire Mask with Tan Leather Padding

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 432-7-1/4-N Richardson Pro Mesh Fitted Plate/Base Combo Umpire Cap

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 530-7-1/4-N Richardson Fitted Plate/Base Combo Umpire Cap

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 UMP101PB Umpire Plate Brush

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3901 Wilson Throat Protector

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 S375-CC-38 FlexibleFit Charcoal Grey Combo Umpire Pants

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 A3007T Wilson Titanium Dyna-lite Facemask

Edited by NuBlue

I am definitely planning to go to the Wendelstedt So Cal Umpire Classic in March. It just makes sense all the way around: only two hours away from me by car, relatively low total cost, weekend schedule is a good time frame for my first taste... all in all a good deal. in addition, a friend of mine (and one of the umpires that I will be working with this year) went to both Evans and Wendelstedt, and when I queried him yesterday he said unequivocally that he preferred Wendelstedt based on the quality of the instruction/ instructional staff.

Thanks to all for your warm welcome helpful input!

Special thanks to umpire in chief and mstaylor.

Edited by NuBlue