Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6295 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I have used them for about the past 3 years and love them. I don't think they're too bulky. They fit under my pant legs easily. As a matter of fact, before I bought "real" umpire pants I put them under my jeans just to see what they looked like. Surprisingly they actually fit without much trouble. They fit under my current pants just fine. As to how they will work with your shoes I can't say much. The sides come down and cover the main ankle bone. This works great for me because I wear low-top cleats, so my ankles are still mostly protected.

Posted

Does anyone use these or similar guards? I have a pair of catchers guards that are bulky and it is time to get rid of them. I wear NB plate shoes so I don't want the instep plate on the guards to push on my shoes.

Suggestions/Advice

I like both top-of-the-line catcher's guards (I really like the All-Star LG23Pro model) and hockey shins. My suggestion with the catcher's guards is to cut off the instep plate at the bottom edge of the shin guard. I would never wear that thing with plate shoes. Talk about redundant!:P Same with the Wilson Triple Knee Umpire guards. Cut that sucker off!

Next season, I plan to go with the Reebok 10K hockey shin guards, except in the 17 inch model (these are 15"):

Reebokshins.jpg

Posted

Many guys think they are lighter and cooler with the same protection. Some are familar because of playing hockey. Shins guards are the spot you can experiement because they are less important than CPs or masks. Steve can give you more info on advantage/disadvantage.

Posted (edited)

I wear these with the NB450: (with the instep plate removed):

a3409_lg2.jpg

There's no pressure from these on the top of the shoes; in fact, they fit quite comfortably. Removing the instep plate was very easy - took about 5 minutes for both of them to disappear.

I drilled out the back of each rivet (2 in each) that holds in instep plate in place. That's it. Fits like a charm, and the ankle protection is very good (hard outer shell, and good padding beneath).

Another nice feature of these guards is that the padding can be removed (it's all attached w/ velcro) and so it makes for easy cleaning and you can custom fit them to your liking.

Edited by BrianC14
Posted

The problem with those catcher shin guards not fitting well with the NBs is due to them being the wrong length for your legs!

Many guys think they are lighter and cooler with the same protection. Some are familar because of playing hockey. Shins guards are the spot you can experiement because they are less important than CPs or masks. Steve can give you more info on advantage/disadvantage.
Well, they are certainly lighter and easier to run in. They provide very good protection (at least high-end ones like the Reebok 10K above, or the Warrior Hustler), and they are very technologically advanced in materials and shock dispersement. They are designed to deflect hockey pucks traveling 90+ MPH. They are a bit wider and have a nice wrap-around for extra confidence. Also, like the GD shins, they only use two straps and are easily put on and taken off.

Here is a link to the Reebok 10K stats and specs:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-10k-shin-guards-2009-sr.html

Posted

The problem with those catcher shin guards not fitting well with the NBs is due to them being the wrong length for your legs!

Well, they are certainly lighter and easier to run in. They provide very good protection (at least high-end ones like the Reebok 10K above, or the Warrior Hustler), and they are very technologically advanced in materials and shock dispersement. They are designed to deflect hockey pucks traveling 90+ MPH. They are a bit wider and have a nice wrap-around for extra confidence. Also, like the GD shins, they only use two straps and are easily put on and taken off.

Here is a link to the Reebok 10K stats and specs:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-10k-shin-guards-2009-sr.html

Those things look pretty wide...

Posted (edited)
Those things look pretty wide...
I have very buff legs, and will appreciate the protection. They're not all that wide, anyway. Not any wider than the Wilson umpire guards. The plating wraps around, where in the Wilsons the padding is what is wrapped. They look wide in the photo because they are only 15 inches long. I will be getting the 17 inch model, and they will not appear as wide. Edited by SanDiegoSteve
Posted

I wear the triple knee version of these shins, the toe is velcro so it comes of easily. I like mine, a little bulky but comfortable. They have protected me well in my experience.


×
×
  • Create New...