Jump to content

arbiter22

Inactive
  • Posts

    73
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by arbiter22

  1. I second that!!!
  2. In the past one there weren't as many cameras. So you gave the benefit of the doubt to the fielder. If everyone thinks he's out then he's out was more or less the reasoning. Now with all the replay BS, controversial calls, or outright missed calls they have to call it as is.....Remember the play with Jeter? http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090706&content_id=5725416&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy
  3. Jerry Layne on top of things. This is the big leagues with 10 or more cameras you have to touch the base to get an out. Tim He-who-shall-not-be-named again with his ignorant comments on national tv . He's an idiot. Just think the way things have gone for the umpires in the play-offs they are looking for anything just to bash them, even if it's the correct call. This is why I don't read the newspaper or watch the local news when I'm working games on the road. http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7065415
  4. What a great call by Laz!!! And a good example of not going for help just to please the manager. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091016&content_id=7474684&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb Oh yeah almost forgot... I would say that Tim He-who-shall-not-be-named's ignorance is cause he's a rat but I think he's just an idiot.
  5. I think this one is a much better choice...... http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/Sport/ProductCatalog.aspx?id=312
  6. By not checking your partner is picking a battle that doesn't need to get started (yes I know there are situations that come up where a point needs to be made but the are few and far between). Just ask, if your partner says "no" then hey you were probably right. If he says the batter swung well then you got another strike and your that much closer to being done for the day. During my summer season I'm on one crew so we don't do much pregame after a series or two unless there is some history between the two teams. We post-game a lot. I think if your totally honest with yourselves and each other post-games can make you a much better umpire. Now when I'm at home working high school and college I like to do a pre-game just to make sure we're on the same page and really doesn't take that long and most do so while they are changing. Think about it even if your partner is running late he still has to put his uniform on. That's 10 minutes right there. When the game is over I like to get as much info from my partners as I can so.
  7. Well put.
  8. In my opinion the higher level you go the less arguments and crying. You just have to build a good rep. (Someone who gets his stuff right, is approachable, but doesn't put up with stupid BS) They're gonna test you for a bit. It takes time for everyone. Especially if you're a young umpire. It ain't right but that's the way it is. If your in doubt, throw'em out.:shrug:
  9. Congrats man!!! That's pretty cool. I always like it when young guys get a chance to move up. Being one myself.
  10. As a former player (i was a pitcher) regardless if I was up a lot or down a lot, if someone from the other team tried to bunt they would be getting hit. Before everyone makes the wise cracks I'll pick on my self and say I'm usually the one giving up a lot of runs. This is why I now umpire. Also, I wasn't there when the coaches were talking or whatever so I speak to this specific situation. But something to keep in mind is that nothing good can come from an umpire allowing two coaches from opposing teams have a conversation of that nature. If they need to settle their difference they can do it when I'm not there.
  11. Don't even get me started on FED...Just go with CCA. PBUC red book is good but only covers 2-man.
  12. Tough situation... I wouldn't acknowledge him until his team is completely on the field at that point he has no reason to be outside of the dugout and is now "showing you up". I would warn him once to return to the dugout (if he stares at you from his hole who cares, unless it gets ridiculous) if he doesn't return, well then run him. The only people allowed out of the dugout at that point are the 9 fielders, batter, on deck batter, the 2 base coaches, and of course the umpires. Nothing wrong with staring back at him. And in my opinion that's not baiting cause he wants your attention. Give him your attention and if he says anything he's an assistant coach that has left his position to argue a judgment call. His new position is the dugout not the coaches box or wherever he was.
  13. Based on what you said the ball should have been ruled foul. If the umpire had the ball fair the runner should have been out for interference. Under no circumstance should the batter-runner be allowed to reach first base. While based on your post this is not the case, keep in mind that even though the ball/runner are in foul territory the batter-runner can still be called out based on rule 6.05(I) "After hitting or bunting a foul ball, he intentionally deflects the course of the ball in any manner while running to first base. The ball is dead and no runners may advance." However you might wanna make sure it's pretty obvious before picking that battle.
  14. one runner = one umpire......(yes, is 3 and 4 man it is different.)
  15. Personally, I think you should have dumped him when he said that those runs are yours (it's a personal comment)... What you could have done because you didn't know (couldn't see) who it was is, was say, "You're done." or whatever you say and make the mechanic. One of two things will happen, the rat that said it will leave or you pick whoever you think said it. If you get the wrong one too bad so sad. Just the same, there's nothing wrong with your partner helping out. He sounds like someone that's got your back. As for Coach King Rat telling you after the game that his coach shouldn't have been ran, I would tell him that if he doesn't want his coaches getting dumped then take control of his coaches like he should be doing. But I would like to say good job, good ejection! Sounds like you tried to give them a couple chances to stay in the game.
  16. I've worked if front of about 13,500 people. It's pretty fun.
  17. Is this one person in particular? For instance I've been to umpire school. But I do not argue with my secretary or president or whoever. At least not in front of others. One on one so that neither one of us is embarrassed. That and the fact that I respect the time and effort these guys have put forth, so I'm not going to disrespect them. I do however have trouble with the adjustment from my pro season to calling high school and college. Its tough for me because they don't know when or how to argue. That and all they see is a young kid on the field so they think they can run over me. Thus resulting in more ejections during my college and high school season than in my regular season. Btw I like how you phrased that you let the coaches ''vent''... We as a whole are not therapists:) And yes I do try to let the coaches have there say. As for my pet peeves: calling me "blue" and rolling me the baseballs.
  18. That's actually pretty funny. I'm so gonna use this one. Let me make a suggestion, If a coach says, "You're missing a good game." There is a good chance he's about to leave. (It's a personal statement.) Oh, and just my opinion saying something of this nature is not necessarily a bad thing. It's ok to put a coach in his place with a response like this... Just pick your spots. ps I know I know some people will disagree with me. Its just my opinion.
  19. Hey guys I want to clarify that I'm not nor am I trying to give off the impression that I'm part of MiLB. I work in an independant minor league. I'm just another guy trying to move up the latter. And I'm trying to learn like everyone else. Sorry if there is any confusion.
  20. PS As per my contract I CANNOT state my league, level, or name on a public officiating forum. I think it's really cool that there are sites like this available for advise on becoming a better umpire
  21. Ok here goes... You really have to watch it when i comes to telling a coach that you missed a call. I'm not saying to lie to them. (NEVER EVER LIE to them) But just tell em what you had on the play and listen to what they have. Then move on. As far as taking more heat from them when you miss a play, you just have to read the situation and the importance of that play. In minor league ball we see the teams over and over again so get to know them. If its a manger that picks his battles I will listen to him longer than a manager that has something to say about everything. Don't let them complain about a play from earlier in the game. Even a play the pitch before. By then its over and done with and no point in beating a dead horse.
×
×
  • Create New...