hbk314
Established Member-
Posts
290 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by hbk314
-
How un-American of you.
-
I figured as much, but I just stumbled across it today.
-
Don't know if this ever came up here. Anyone know anything more? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dG0xJc3Rs
-
I got 10/10 also, but I'll freely admit that I wasn't completely sure on which infraction provided the manager with a choice: balk or CI. Made the correctly slightly educated guesses though.
-
My favorite thing about this, and Gil noted this in his article as well, is that these are all two-choice questions. You'd think that in the long run with pure guessing, the average would be roughly 50%. Average Score: 38% Obviously this speaks to the rules knowledge of those taking the quiz, but does it also suggest that some of the rules in the quiz may be counter-intuitive to people with little or no rules knowledge coming in?
-
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/9389802/how-well-do-know-baseball-rules-take-our-quiz And there's the article talking about how well, or how poorly, certain people who took it did. Including Aaron Boone's 1/10.
-
http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/id/4979/do-know-mlb-rules I'm sure this was posted back at the time as well, but I thought it might be interesting to repost.
-
I completely disagree with that analysis of those two particular pitches. What happens with the bat after they get hit by the pitch is irrelevant. Obviously Stanton released the bat after being hit in the face. Neither player had even come close to what I would consider to be an attempt at the point they were hit. It's not about what's "humane." It's about common sense.
-
Little bit of Clint Hurdle in there.
-
It took me half-asleep as I am right now to watch the replay before I even figured out what was going on. =\ lol Should have tagged the guy on his way back from third first.
-
For what it's worth, Gil has that particular play listed as an incorrect call.
-
That may hold true on a borderline pitch. This wasn't a borderline pitch by any stretch of the imagination. It was two inches off the center of the plate and almost nine inches, or 38.3% of the entire zone, from the bottom of the zone. That's a bad miss, regardless of how the catcher caught it. It brings back memories of this sequence:
-
Lots of good info here. When I umpired up until around four years ago, I too used the V on fly balls from inside. I like the BU taking everything unless called off because it forces the kind of mindset and communication that could prevent this situation from happening.
-
This video was posted by the NFHS in April of 2013. I didn't see a thread where it had been discussed and thought it could provide an interesting discussion. I've been out of umpiring for about four years, but I'm still interested in proper mechanics as well as what the best way to handle this situation ultimately is.
-
From about three months ago, and not the greatest video in that I don't believe it shows exactly what the pitcher was doing. Did this ever get any discussion around here?
-
I've always seen Utley has someone who plays the game hard. Not surprising from a Phillies fan though.
- 17 replies
