-
Posts
177 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by clawdad
-
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131018&content_id=63112940¬ebook_id=63119602&vkey=notebook_la&c_id=la
-
Condolences to the family........RIP, Wally
-
http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29474597&topic_id=0 http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=29474597 I hope there is no lasting injury. Pretty scary to see.
-
That's not the app they were talking about in the survey. This looks like a rules app. The DVD was mechanics. That's what I took it to be - an updated version of the disc, and a new app for mobile devices with the same content.
-
Did any of you receive an email from Immersion Media asking you to take an online survey? I took it. From the looks, they may be putting this out as an app for Android/Iphone/Tablet as well. It said the new release would be out November 2013 if I remember correctly. Asked: would you like to see an app for mobile, tablet, desktop... how much you would be willing to pay for an app if you bought the CD... it was only like 5 questions. I would be interested in an app, especially if they are updating the CD as well. If I bought the CD (which I did), it would be nice if they sent you a link for a free download of the app once you got the CD.
-
Lineups are required to be listed by name. Numbers are a courtesy and help speed up noting changes in the lineup. Lineups are official once exchanged and accepted by the PU. OBR 6.01 (emphasis of text by me) (a) Each player of the offensive team shall bat in the order that his name appears in his team’s batting order. (b) The first batter in each inning after the first inning shall be the player whose name follows that of the last player who legally completed his time at bat in the preceding inning. Notice it does not say "number", it says "name" Here is a previous discussion on a related topic: http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/27392-line-up-issue-players-name-or-number-is-official/ How do you know the names matched the players? Did you ask each player if their name was Wiley Coyote, Peg Leg, etc? I would go to the Tournament Director and ask to see the official affidavit or roster that was submitted to get in the tournament. If W. Coyote or P. Leg is not on there, then protest on the grounds that they are using ineligible players in their lineup. Let the coach answer as to what is going on with his lineup.
-
That's pretty much true, Danny. Got the snow blower all ready to go. Tim, right now the kids are all playing summer soccer since baseball is done. Then they are back to school in September. Unfortunately they don't even seem to think baseball again until around April. I am going to keep studying rulebooks & manuals, logging in here, and continuing to learn all I can. I hope our state HS association holds a clinic again this year like they did last year. Rob Drake and Lance Barrett instructed, and it was well attended. I hope to go to the week long LL Umpire School at some point, maybe in a year or 2. Now that I have local, district, section, and state LL tournaments under my belt, I would like to put in for Regionals after I attend the school.
-
Congrats
-
Nothing really around here. I will just keep coming here to get my umpiring fix. I am going to attend at least 1 day of the LLWS in Williamsport. Hoping to catch 3-4 games and watch the crews. One of the WS umpires this year attended the Williamsport Spring Clinic that I was at.
-
This past week I was honored to work the Little League Majors (11-12) NY State Tournament. Met some good people, and it was neat to interact with the teams from different parts of the state. Good baseball, and good times. No major problems, other than I had a game go 9 innings (I was on the dish). It was a nice way to end my season. Now to get my gear all cleaned up and put away until next year.
-
This incident actually happened in early July. Here is a link to another story.. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Cops-Little-League-International-officials-4645681.php I found this interesting (copied from same article) While the pitcher was being tended to, a Santa Fe coach threw the bat to the ground, cracking the barrel, Sweetin said. With the bat unserviceable, the owner took it to the parking lot to put in his truck. "That was misconstrued as trying to hide something," he said. "Then everything moved to the parking lot. I don't have any idea what was said. Since the Opposing team coach threw the bat down and cracked it, then it could not be used in the game. However, it could make identifying it easier. (for instance, if the one sent to WP for testing was not cracked) ​The article I linked here and the one in the OP have seem to have some conflicting information. (put in a truck vs. put in trunk of a car, pre game equipment check shows nothing vs. umpire stating something sounded funny with the bat). I will be curious to see how this plays out.
-
Rule 6.06 ( c ) Comment:...... If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.
-
to the bolded part. (why would R2 interfere with the runner?) I think I know what you meant to say, though. Interference doesn't have to involve contact. Just because it isn't regularly called doesn't mean it shouldn't be called more often. Correct. However, I would have called R2 out on the interference, not BR. Same outcome though.
-
Oh, so you want the rest of the story? PU allowed play to continue instead of calling the dead ball on the interference and F6 was able to complete the 6-3 play on the BR. Umpires and TD settled on "7.08(b)(NOTE:)" which has R2 out but doesn't mention the dead ball or the runners being returned to their respective bases at the time the interference occurred. The double-play (R2 & BR) was allowed, R3 was allowed to score, and R1 advanced to 2B. The OT Manager's protest was on the Interference call itself. He kept saying, "How can it be interference if he (F6) made the out on the BR?" There was a homerun three batters later that made R3 scoring moot but they lost the run that the BR would have scored and, of course, the extra out ended the inning earlier than it should have ended with two runners stranded (R2 & R3). In the end, the final score was 26-17 with the protesting team losing. The nine-run final deficit kinda took the wind out of their protest sails. (Might have helped their cause more if they hadn't walked 8 of the first 9 batters in the 11-run first inning. One of their pitchers walked 7 of the 8 batters he faced with the 8th reaching on a fielders-choice which did not result in a put-out. That pitcher was the manager's son.) Here's the final line-score from the game. Game time was 3:19! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 R H E 1 0 0 5 0 2 8 26 15 8 3 4 0 5 5 0 0 17 16 5 If I'm the protesting team manager, there is no way I would accept that ruling. If the protesting team does not agree with the TD decision, they have every right stop play to move it through the process. Once they go back on the field to begin play, they are unable to protest after the next play/pitch. I would make them go up the chain to the tournament committee in Williamsport. Their decision is final and binding. You said 3 batters later, a HR was hit. I am assuming that the 2 batters in between reached base, otherwise there would be 3 outs. With bases loaded and 1 out (which it should have been after the INT), even if the 2 batters reached on consecutive walks then 2 runs would have scored. That makes the HR a grand slam to score 4 more. I know that doesn't amount to enough runs to change the final score, but the momentum swing could have been huge.
-
Very cool! Still a lot of results for "interference" but it makes it so much easier to search through and find the information you need quickly. (In this case, we needed the "ball dead" and "runners return") I also like how it lists the rule number so you can find it quickly in the book for more details. Is there an iOS version? Yes, the iOS one came out first.
-
Gotcha. 7.09 (f) states that the runner must "willfully and deliberately" interfere with "obvious intent" to break up a double play. You said the PU ruled the interference was unintentional. I would HTBT, so I won't second guess him. If that is his ruling, then I have: R2 out on the interference, and the ball immediately dead. BR to 1B, and other runners return to TOP bases. Since original R1 can't return due to BR now being at first, original R1 goes to 2B. No runs score. Bases loaded, 1 out.
-
If, in the umpire's judgment, R2's interference was to break up a double play then you can get the out on BR and R2. The ball is dead, and runners return to TOP bases. Why did the PU call the BR out? Assuming it's a 2-man crew then the BU should have the responsibility for that call.
-
Absolutely false. Suspended game - pick up where you left off. But if you look at rule 4.11 and 4.12 and the scenario they show, it appears as if they would revert to the completed inning and it would be a 13-7 win for the visitor Jack, Your scenario in the OP is referred to in 4.11(d) EXCEPTION 2 4.11(d) EXCEPTION: If the game is called during an incomplete inning, the game ends at the end of the last previous completed inning in each of the following situations: (1) The visiting team scores one or more runs to tie the score in the incomplete inning, and the home team does not score in the incomplete inning. (2) The visiting team scores one or more runs to take the lead in the incomplete inning, and the home team does not tie the score or retake the lead in the incomplete inning. In your scenario, the Home Team DID tie the score in the incomplete inning. Rich is correct - suspended game.
-
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9378450/los-angeles-dodgers-players-say-hostilities-arizona-diamondbacks-not-over Near the end of the article: Mattingly said they should have taken it up with home-plate umpire Clint Fagan for not throwing Greinke out of the game after the first errant pitch. "If you're mad at the umpire, throw at the umpire," Mattingly said.
-
Pitcher Wearing Batting Glove under Leather Glove
clawdad replied to CATMAN's question in Ask the Umpire
LL 8.02(a)(6) - The pitcher shall not... deliver what is called the “shine†ball, “spit†ball, “mud†ball or “emery†ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub off the ball between the bare hands. OBR 8.02(a)(6) - The pitcher shall not... deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine†ball, “spit†ball, “mud†ball or “emery†ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands. Also, the LL RIM states the following under 8.02 INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS: If a pitcher were wearing a batting glove under his/her fielder’s glove, it would be very difficult to rub the ball “between the bare hands.†Simply, don’t allow the pitcher to wear a batting glove and you avoid the problem. I have never seen a MLB pitcher wear a batting glove under his fielding glove. -
First, to the part I highlighted: it doesn't create a force play. It is an appeal by the defense that the runner left base prior to the fly ball being contacted (caught) by the fielder. This makes it a time play. Therefore, as long as the runner touched home prior to the out at 2B, then the run scores. OBR 7.08 (d) & 7.10 (a)
-
I turned to the game just after it happened. Announcers were saying something about how umpires shouldn't insert themselves into games like that. Also, the PU appeared to be a big guy, and it looked like he was wearing a ribbed protector. Curious as to what kind he was wearing, because I wouldn't want to be on the dish in a D1 game without a hard shell protector of some sort.
-
A "shrug" is not listed as a way to balk. You need to decide whether it was a motion to pitch or throw to a base. If so balk it, if not ignore it. And, if you "never really noticed" it until the coach brought it up it more than likely was nothing. (And I forget the beginning part of this thread so if this is a story about someone else and not you, I apologize or using the word "you" above.) No problem. It was a buddy of mine who umpires that had this come up.
-
Yup on LL. FED is similar to LL: Case book 7.4.1 Situation A ".....he is out if he gives up by entering the bench or dugout area."
