Jump to content

rodatc

Members
  • Posts

    45
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rodatc

  1. By proper use of the eyes, do you mean watching the ball from the pitcher's hand all the way into the catcher's glove and then watching how the catcher moves his glove once he's caught the ball. Or is there more to it than that? Yes. That is proper use of the eyes. Which creates proper timing. I would change what you said from watching the ball to tracking the ball. Track it all the way and seeing how it is received. Then make your decision. This process will create your proper timing. If you are too quick it is because you did not track it all the way. At some point your eyes gave up and simply looked forward. That is why someone calls it to fast. Simply made up their mind to fast.
  2. PBUC Manual 1.9 Personal Appearance pg 5 Grooming: All Minor League umpires are to be well-groomed. Hair style and length should be in a manner consistent with your profession. Umpires should be clean shaven; mustaches, goatees and other facial hair are not permitted.
  3. Yes Sir Troy. That was our pro mechanic
  4. HATED THEM
  5. Guys its just a cross step for your pick off moves. In pro ball things go FAST. There are a hand full of things at PBUC they changed for as a more advanced mechanic. The other schools know but for the mass still teach the other way. At Evans they let us know the before heading to PBUC as a heads up.
  6. Plus one! And, based on how progressive the world of umpiring education is, and how firmly it has grasped the available technology, I am hopeful this will come to being in the next six to eight years. Who says you can't have an E-copy? Scan, crop, sort save! Agreed. I started doing this a couple years ago in MiLB. We are able to see the OBR, red and blue book online. I saved them as PDFs. I then saved to my Kindle so I could always have them on the road. Did the same with my NCAA Rules as well. Love it.
  7. No facial hair in the minors, that changes in MLB. MiLB is pro.
  8. In Pro ball it was certainly frowned on. If they knew better it was offensive but with in lower levels I always corrected them. Player: "Hey blue how's it going?" Me: "Good. Oh by the way its Ricky." Player: "Oh Okay. Nice to meet you Ricky"...etc
  9. Once it becomes a rundown PU has it all. BU takes R2. If R2 advances to 3B then BU can take half of that rundown. Remember its not a rundown until its a ...rundown :)
  10. Part of the argument is lack of awareness of differences in rules. The answer is "A" in FED and "D" in OBR. So in OBR, how would you rule on this play, as described? Balk or no balk? It can be deduced from the information provided. It's legal IF the runner is actually attempting to advance. So if he isn't - then what? PBUC Manual: Play 2: Runners on first and second, pitcher in set position. Runner bluffs going to third base and pitcher throws to third base. However, runner did not go. Ruling 2: Balk under Official Baseball Rule 8.05(d). The key to understanding the above two plays is for the umpire to use good judgment in deciding whether or not the runner was making an actual attempt to advance to third base or whether he was bluffing.
  11. Fittske is right. Looks titanium. Kinda sneaky. But nice and light.
  12. Yes these are only avaliable directly to NCAA teams and pro catchers who uses Easton in their contract. Often the catchers give them away and thats how guys aquire them. I had one and liked it. They are hard to aquire.
  13. I wore these last season during pro ball. I loved it every time I had a base game. Like I was on clouds
  14. Mechanic: "Thats interference" (when the bat hits mitt) play continues... When ball is out of play the PU walks out saying Time....(thinking to himself hmm what do I do?) "Time, thats interference( pointing at the catcher). You (pointing at R3) third base. Batter (pointing at batter) first base." If manager says," hey whats going on? I want my run! " You say, "Okay skip you can have your run but the batter is out." If he agrees... "You (pointing at R3) score and you (pointing at the batter on first) He's out!"
  15. Good luck and do exactly with Hickman said. Use the advise from those who have been through this. Especially if you want a job. Its a 5 week job interview. Feel free to PM me was well. Thanks RR
  16. IMO "Ball, no he didn't go" would have been helpful.
  17. Rule 6.05(h) Comment: If a bat breaks and part of it is in fair territory and is hit by a batted ball or part of it hits a runner or fielder, play shall continue and no interference called. If batted ball hits part of a broken bat in foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a whole bat is thrown into fair territory and interferes with a defensive player attempting to make a play, interference shall be called, whether intentional or not. Example I will use is pro ball. Wooden bat that break and interferes with fielder to make play nothing. Slipped whole bat interferes is interference. Intentional or not. Slipped or thrown. It is what is taught in pro school at least. Several people commented that slipped is nothing. No, if the entire bat goes and interferes with that fielder it is interference.
  18. Had good friends go to both and both get jobs. Each loved it. So can't go wrong either way. But I will be heading to Evans' in less than a month. Can't wait! Rick
×
×
  • Create New...