Was this batter interference?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5103 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was umping a boys minor league game. The pitcher threw a past ball, the batter took a few confused steps out of the box and towards the pitcher, runner on third scored. The pitcher avoided the batter but did not get past him. I could not see the catcher. The catcher a) may not have gotten to the ball when the run scored or :agasp_: did get to the ball and:confused: was prepared to make a throw. There was no throw to the plate. I did not call batter interference since I did not think the batter impacted the result of the play but later I am not sure this was correct. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It starts with if there was a play or not. No play then how can he interfere. Without knowing if there was a potential play or not, can't call INT. Have to know why F2 didn't throw the ball to F1. Did he hesitate b/c of the batter? If he did, then INT.

To know if this is INT, have to know about F2's actions for me.

It starts with if there was a play or not. No play then how can he interfere. Without knowing if there was a potential play or not, can't call INT. Have to know why F2 didn't throw the ball to F1. Did he hesitate b/c of the batter? If he did, then INT.

To know if this is INT, have to know about F2's actions for me.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think that it can be called INT if the kid didn't throw the ball. The key portion of this will be tries to make a play. If the kid gives up on making a play because of the batter, then you can't call Int. It's kind of like the play at first base with the runner running outside of the lane. There catcher has to try to throw the ball in order for there to be a call.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think that it can be called INT if the kid didn't throw the ball. The key portion of this will be tries to make a play.

However, if I see F2 had time to throw to the plate, but didn't because there was no one to throw to, that's INT as much as making the throw.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think that it can be called INT if the kid didn't throw the ball. The key portion of this will be tries to make a play. If the kid gives up on making a play because of the batter, then you can't call Int. It's kind of like the play at first base with the runner running outside of the lane. There catcher has to try to throw the ball in order for there to be a call.

No Throw to first:

OBR-no int

Fed- INT if the BR is in the way.

Thanks to all that responded. I will try to do a better job keeping track of where the ball is during future situations. Someone told me after my post that in LL Minors the kids cannot steal. Planning to call the manager tonight since he has the book. Maybe the runner at third should not have been able to steal home on the past ball?

Thanks to all that responded. I will try to do a better job keeping track of where the ball is during future situations. Someone told me after my post that in LL Minors the kids cannot steal. Planning to call the manager tonight since he has the book. Maybe the runner at third should not have been able to steal home on the past ball?

In official LL rules, Minors CAN steal, but they can not leave the base until the pitched ball reaches the batter. However, there may be a local rule (I HATE local rules!) that prevents stealing in Minors.