DK3, JV play-off game...

theedeuce
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5119 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I had the dish during a JV play-off game when given this situation... Here goes;

Two outs, runner on second, 2-2 count on batter. Next pitch batter swings and misses breaker in the dirt. D3K, ball bounces past catcher and ricochettes off my shin guard and rolls left of 3rd base line. Heads up catcher reacts, pounces on ball and gets 3rd out from runner on 2nd attempting to steal 3rd.

Next inning manager asks me "Who leads off"? His arguement was that his batter was never officially out... :wave: My explaination was that his batter was out by virtue of a fielders choice. I hope I was right since I was shooting from the hip. Please advise.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the dish during a JV play-off game when given this situation... Here goes;

Two outs, runner on second, 2-2 count on batter. Next pitch batter swings and misses breaker in the dirt. D3K, ball bounces past catcher and ricochettes off my shin guard and rolls left of 3rd base line. Heads up catcher reacts, pounces on ball and gets 3rd out from runner on 2nd attempting to steal 3rd.

Next inning manager asks me "Who leads off"? His arguement was that his batter was never officially out... :wave: My explaination was that his batter was out by virtue of a fielders choice. I hope I was right since I was shooting from the hip. Please advise.

Technically he did strike out so I would say next batter is up.

Next batter.

No different then if he hit the ball and the inning ended on a FC.

Oh and a second thought, who the hell plays JV playoff games? I didn't know there was a such thing...

Even better is, is it not to early for play-off games?

Must be a very short season.

Seems like either way the batter finished his at bat. He was out by strike out or was safe at first on the D3K and the 3rd out was made on the runner attempting to steal. But would it matter if the put out occured before the BR reached 1st base?

Oh and a second thought, who the hell plays JV playoff games? I didn't know there was a such thing...

James... Here in Georgia the JV schedule ends about two weeks before the varsity. Most regions put together a single elimination bracket within there own region and the JV season stops there. It also gives varsity managers an opportunity to call up any young promising talent some bench support before the JV kids get released.

The manager is right that the batter was not out. But, his time at bat was ended when he became a runner. 8-1-1b, 2-7-3

OK - I don't do Fed ball, but didja ever consider saying, "Do I look like a :WTF scorekeeper to you?"

No - prob'ly not.

Absolutely the wrong response in this situation. The manager is trying to avoid a BOO sitiuation, and asks a reasonable question. He deserves a reasonable response.