Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 895 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

The D-ring is ripping the loop. I know its on the upper knee piece but I still want it.

 

How would you replace the loop or make sure the loop doesnt rip all the way?

 

All Star LP11-R are the model if you need to know.

 

TIA!77eb8a6f1328a82d02cc32db5370f7f2.jpg

 

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

 

 

Posted
On 4/14/2024 at 12:01 PM, The Short Umpire said:

Drill out the rivet and put a new piece of webbing in with a Chicago screw. 

Exactly like this 👆🏼. Shorty’s got the sagest advice. 

It’ll look something like this: 

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.97d8846b42b6775d70a7fe3b016f5aea.jpgIMG_2787.thumb.jpg.b5f90577d289e4e98c4d0b92d28463ea.jpgIMG_2801.thumb.jpg.42848c3e967c169e7c7974f1d065aaca.jpg1909195777_cp_SchuttMaXV22detail.jpg.cf59447c8ffca70d443bd04c47744c99.jpg

In each case, unless you have a leather hole punch (looks like an industrial paper hole punch), I recommend the heated-awl-lance method. DO NOT DRILL a hole thru the (new) nylon webbing – you’ll ruin the nylon, you’ll get your drill bit all fouled up, and you risk hurting yourself. Instead, I use a butane (or propane) torch to superheat a cheap scratch awl ($2 at Harbor Freight) and then lance thru the nylon webbing. Makes a good size hole and cauterizes it in one shot. 

Then, Chicago Screws are your bestest fastening friend. You probably need no longer than 1/4”… or maybe 3/8”, tops. 

  • Like 1
Posted
15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Exactly like this 👆🏼. Shorty’s got the sagest advice. 

It’ll look something like this: 

IMG_2750.thumb.jpg.97d8846b42b6775d70a7fe3b016f5aea.jpgIMG_2787.thumb.jpg.b5f90577d289e4e98c4d0b92d28463ea.jpgIMG_2801.thumb.jpg.42848c3e967c169e7c7974f1d065aaca.jpg1909195777_cp_SchuttMaXV22detail.jpg.cf59447c8ffca70d443bd04c47744c99.jpg

In each case, unless you have a leather hole punch (looks like an industrial paper hole punch), I recommend the heated-awl-lance method. DO NOT DRILL a hole thru the (new) nylon webbing – you’ll ruin the nylon, you’ll get your drill bit all fouled up, and you risk hurting yourself. Instead, I use a butane (or propane) torch to superheat a cheap scratch awl ($2 at Harbor Freight) and then lance thru the nylon webbing. Makes a good size hole and cauterizes it in one shot. 

Then, Chicago Screws are your bestest fastening friend. You probably need no longer than 1/4”… or maybe 3/8”, tops. 

This is the way.

  • Like 1
Posted

See? I knew a simple question would bring about good advise and pictures!

Thanks to Short and MadMax.

Unless I missed it, are you filing down the edges on front and back to make sure there are no shirt-snagging burrs? On one of the slots, it looks like the screwdriver marred the edges and possibly making an shirt-snagging edge.

Posted
1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

On one of the slots, it looks like the screwdriver marred the edges and possibly making a shirt-snagging edge.

*/ gets very self-conscious /* What? Where? I left a marred, burr-y edge?? 

… I haven’t had a snagged shirt yet. 

I use aluminum Chicago Screws. Don’t corrode, and softer. Sandpaper will smooth ‘em instead of a file. 

  • Like 1
Posted

image.png.700ea6f921a8c0160010653a2077996b.png

That looked rough.... not criticizing your craftsmanship.  but as someone who has marred aluminimumum slots with a steel screwdriver before, I was just wondering if you saw that issue.

I realized afterwards, I was asking about my shin guards in the OP but with all of the chest protector pictures, I shifted to shirts snagging.  At least this will benefit anyone coming across this with similar issues.

 

Posted
On 4/14/2024 at 10:44 AM, BLWizzRanger said:

The D-ring is ripping the loop. I know its on the upper knee piece but I still want it.

All Star LP11-R are the model if you need to know.

Hey! While we’re at it, why not exchange D-ring & metal hooks… for side release buckles? 

Just a thought… 🤔

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...