R2 hit by ricochete

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 391 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, stl_ump said:

R2 is stealing and BR hits a line drive that bounces off 3rd and hits R2. Out?

Thanks

Need to know the positions of the closest fielders and the ball's trajectory in relation to them. But as envisioned, yes, unless R2 overslid 3B.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stl_ump said:

R2 is stealing and BR hits a line drive that bounces off 3rd and hits R2. Out?

Thanks

A ball deflecting off a base does NOT absolve a runner from interference from contact with the ball.  So, if you would have called it without the deflection, you should call it even with the deflection.

Thanks for your answers. 

I was doing a little rules clinic for a team and one of the kids asked that and I thought that's what the answer should be but it was one of those odd, maybe never see it kind of plays, that got me thinking.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Need to know the positions of the closest fielders and the ball's trajectory in relation to them. But as envisioned, yes, unless R2 overslid 3B.

See I am envisioning this as it had to pass F5   I cannot for the life of me picture any F5 playing behind the bag.

But yeah we actually need to know where F5 is in relation to the ball movement.

I almost want to say "that's nothing!"