Batter "Alert to the pitcher"

TheRockawayKid
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 414 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

I think we need clarification if that counts as a reset.

Well, they acted quickly. Quicker than I  would have thought, and does open an enormous can of worms. 
R1- LHP steps and soft tosses a  throw to 1b. R1 is barely a foot off the base. Maybe he throws it hard but R1 never left the bag. Are we now using judgment as to what is “legitimate pickoff attempt at any base?  

I understand the soft toss to a middle infielder off the bag. Beyond that….I don’t  know 

16 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I think we need clarification if that counts as a reset.

Do you mean, if F1 does this once, it would count as his reset (and not a legit pickoff throw), but if he has already burned his reset, this would count as a violation?

I would think if the advice is to rule it a violation because it is not a legit pickoff attempt, then it would be a reset akin to merely stepping off if F1 still has a reset to use.

But, yeah, the feedback should be explicit about that.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, jms1425 said:

Do you mean, if F1 does this once, it would count as his reset (and not a legit pickoff throw), but if he has already burned his reset, this would count as a violation?

I would think if the advice is to rule it a violation because it is not a legit pickoff attempt, then it would be a reset akin to merely stepping off if F1 still has a reset to use.

But, yeah, the feedback should be explicit about that.

Yes. I would treat this as a feint. Feints are resets. But, I've been wrong before. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, JSam21 said:

Yes. I would treat this as a feint. Feints are resets. But, I've been wrong before. 

So, I've been explained since they are trying to circumvent the rule, that we violate this.