Runner hit by batter ball

Guest Lexi
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1329 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Top 3. Bases loaded, 0 out (baseball)

B4 hits a high chopper over the outstretched glove of F3, which hits R1.

Rule 7.08(f) says the runner is out if hit by a batted ball before it is touched by or passes an infielder other than the pitcher. In this case, it did pass F3 before hitting the runner.

What's the call?

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Guest Lexi said:

Top 3. Bases loaded, 0 out (baseball)

B4 hits a high chopper over the outstretched glove of F3, which hits R1.

Rule 7.08(f) says the runner is out if hit by a batted ball before it is touched by or passes an infielder other than the pitcher. In this case, it did pass F3 before hitting the runner.

What's the call?

Was there anyone else in position to play the ball? 

17 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

If it passed F3's glove then it went past F3 too in my judgment.  I have nothing.

If you read the thread of which this is a duplicate you would find that in OBR you still have to determine if F4 or any other infielder had a play on the ball that went thru or by F3. Most likely F4 had a play and the runner would be out in OBR. Your assessment of thru or past would be correct.

Maybe the moderator could combine the threads but I suugest you respond in the original thread.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

If you read the thtead of which this is a duplicate you would find that in OBR you still have to determine if F4 or any other infielder had a play on the ball that went thru or past F3. Most likely F4 had a play and the runner would be out in OBR. Your assessment of thru or past would be correct.

Maybe the moderator could combine the threads but I suugest you respond in the original thread.

Thanks Jim. I didn't see OBR.  Let me eject myself from this discussion.