Sign in to follow this  
HokieUmp

I'm finally a cowboy!

After living here for about a year in my second stint in Texas, I became a cowboy this weekend!   And on my birthday, no less!

Did a pair on Saturday, as part of the "Five Tools" tournament in our area.  (And insert your own joke about 'five tools' here.)  I was base guy for the first one, and the head coach for one team had something to say about a called-third by my partner from the 3B box.  Then he called time for an "offensive conference" - which was really just an excuse to give him more crap.  I mean, he wasn't even pretending to talk to the player, and got all point-y.  So not long after, my partner says "Get off my field!"  Problem is, I spent a blank moment or two, thinking how much I dislike that phrase before realizing "Oh SH*#!  I gotta go DO something now!" and head down to the dirt circle, where they're still 'chatting.'

I had to kind-of step over their legs to get in-between them, so my partner can peel off.  That gets me thisclose to the coach at that point, which was awkward - the first thing he said was something like "Give us some space!"  But then he says "What're YOU doing here, cowboy?"

[I MADE IT, Ma!]

"I'm here to rodeo, coach."  <-- I said that more than once - I said it before he mentioned cowboy, when we were talking over each other, but then I said it again.

He got irritated (more, anyway), and said something like "you don't use that terminology!" after saying something else I never really heard.  I told my wife the story that night, and we were both a little confused about that, but I have theory today:  I almost think, that with my distinctly East Coast voice, and my use of rodeo - thankfully, I didn't use the phrase "rodeo clown", like WE all use - may have made him think I was mocking him, as he was VERY Texas. 

But he left, and I didn't have to walk him all the way to the dugout.

I'm not even sure how righteous the EJ was, or if it was early or late, or what.  I just know that I got called 'cowboy.'

Happy Birthday to me, indeed.

• Like 3

I wanna know from some of the more experienced guys, what do you say to the coach you're "helping off the field"? 

"OK Ernie, let's go"

"I get it Ernie, but it's time to go"

"I think that's enough Ernie, you said what you needed to."

It depends on level, familiarity with coach, circumstances leading to the ejection. Sometimes you just hafta umpire.

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

"OK Ernie, let's go"

"I get it Ernie, but it's time to go"

"I think that's enough Ernie, you said what you needed to."

It depends on level, familiarity with coach, circumstances leading to the ejection. Sometimes you just hafta umpire.

That's about what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. Thanks Kevin!