Sub Not Listed Question

tempetoro
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1833 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I teach at a high school and the baseball coach asked me a question.  They are continuing a game suspended due to darkness from a month ago (11 innings tied 6-6). He wanted to know if a player not on the lineup card can be a substitute which I told him yes.  The caveat is that the player in question was still being processed through the district and was ineligible when the game started but is now eligible.  I coulnd't find anything in the FED book addressing this so I turn to the great minds here.  Thanks in advance.  

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, tempetoro said:

The caveat is that the player in question was still being processed through the district and was ineligible when the game started but is now eligible. 

As far as the FED rules are concerned, you are correct.  Eligibility issues, though, are a state / district issue, so you won't find an answer in the rule book.  The coach should contact the appropriate ruling authority there.

The issues of "state eligibility" and "substitute eligibility" are distinct. The state has a say in which kids are permitted to participate at all. From among those, some are eligible to be players and substitutes in a baseball game.

Your answer is correct: players may be added to the lineup if they become available (JV game ends and they arrive at varsity field, suspended game resumes, accidentally omitted player added, etc.).

Here is the case play that Mr. maven made reference to in his earlier post. Also, see case play 4.4.1 Situation D.

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 4.4.1 Situation C:  Because of an injury in the fourth inning and with no substitutes available, Team A is forced to play with eight players. In the sixth inning, (a) several junior varsity players, or (b) a couple of varsity players who were involved with exams arrive at the game. The coach of Team A would like to return to a nine-player lineup by replacing the injured player. Is this legal? RULING:  Yes in (a) and (b). Even though these players were not at the game or listed on the lineup card when it started, they would not be prohibited from playing. COMMENT:  Team A is not required to return to a nine-player lineup. The players in (a) and (b) may be used as substitutes for any of the remaining players.