I just got a new F3 v2 mask from Ump-Attire. I know the harness is supposed to be tighter the a traditional harness for the mask to work properly. I searched but couldn’t find out how much tighter. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• Thanks 1

A traditional mask should bounce and easily spin on the face. Fit a conventional mask to your face, and bounce around a bit on your feet, and the mask should bounce around, too. Get into your plate stance and crouch, and the mask should be very lightly touching your jaw, such that if you tilt your head down, someone could effortlessly lift it off your face.

This loose fit encourages you to take your mask off (easily) on every play you have to move to (such as Fair/Foul up the line, or a rotation to 3B). The reason for this is the energy from an impact is captured by the mask, and is less likely to transfer all of its kinetic (direct) or torsional (rotational) energy load to your face.

Not so much with the Force3 Defender. 

Here, with this advanced traditional mask, the active spring suspension is designed to capture the majority of that energy. The pads provide final resistance, but they need to be in contact with your face; the springs need something to push back against. So, you want to keep the mask pads as still and in contact with your face as much as possible. Thus, you want it tight enough so that you stretch the harness only to take the mask off and put it on, and then once on, there is still elastic tension holding it snug to your face. You do typically wear out the elasticity of harnesses sooner on the Force3 because of it...

Here’s where a shameless plug for @Razzer‘s “AboutFace” mask harness (I’m throwing word putty at the wall, Ray, forgive me) comes in: his mask harness is constructed in much the same way as his CP harness, using neoprene, and has 3D elasticity to it that holds its shape much more durably than typical nylon elastic. It really is ideally suited for the Force3 Defender.

• Like 1

Thanks @MadMax.

I knew from previous threads that it needed to be snug to the face. I think I’m about there with the harness tightness. I was able to see some pitches in a HS bullpen session yesterday and it felt pretty good. 

Unfortunately it will be at least 2 weeks before we got to see the field here in Central Oregon due too 12+ of snow and temps not much above freezing.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, LeoDev said:

Unfortunately it will be at least 2 weeks before we got to see the field here in Central Oregon due too 12+ of snow and temps not much above freezing.

I know a lot of teams from Central Washington are coming here in Vancouver to play.