Runner picks up ball in fair territory

beerguy55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2126 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I'm reminded of a play I saw happen many many years ago....12U, possibly 10U - I don't even remember if it was softball or baseball.

R2, F2 throws ball back to F1, ball bounces off his glove and rolls about six feet left of second base.   R2 leaves base, picks up ball and tosses it to F1.  BU calls him out.

In any code (regardless of the fact the poor kid was just being nice), is this technically correct?

4 answers to this question

17 hours ago, maven said:

Not correct in any sense, technical or otherwise. It wasn't a tag.

Only thing I can see there is interference if a defender is coming to get the ball and the baserunner deprives him of the chance to make a play on that runner 

31 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Only thing I can see there is interference if a defender is coming to get the ball and the baserunner deprives him of the chance to make a play on that runner 

On a return throw to F1? No way.

We never want to go looking for a way to make an OBS/INT call: default to a no-call, and we'll all live longer. Make 'em big.

A football pal of mine has these in his board signature, and they work for baseball too:

**No-calls are soon forgotten...blown calls live forever.**
**Don't pick the pepper out of the fly sh*t.**

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, maven said:

On a return throw to F1? No way.

We never want to go looking for a way to make an OBS/INT call: default to a no-call, and we'll all live longer. Make 'em big.

A football pal of mine has these in his board signature, and they work for baseball too:

**No-calls are soon forgotten...blown calls live forever.**
**Don't pick the pepper out of the fly sh*t.**

No I agree with you... just giving a maybe if type situation