Replay, catch/no-catch

Larry in TN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2153 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Play in today's NYM@ATL game that was not challenged.

2 out, bases empty.  Low line-drive to F4 who is ruled to have made the catch for the third out.  No challenge.

When I replayed it on my DVR it looks like the ball may have skipped just as it was entering the glove.  If this was challenged, and overturned, what would have happened?  F4 would have had an easy 4-3 play to end the inning but didn't complete the play after the Catch call.  What do you do with the BR when play stopped on the now-overturned Catch call?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, noumpere said:

And the reason it is not is because you can't determine what to do with BR. 

On the "opposite" play -- I didn't read the MLB replay rules, but in NCAA a "no catch" with no runners or for the third out can be turned into a catch

Doesn't the ball have to leave the infield for a catch/ no catch to be overturned. 

From the NCAA rules book:

Note 1 A call of "no catch" within the infield can be changed to a "catch" if there are
one or more runners on base and the change to a "catch" results in the third out, or at
any time with no base runners and the change affects the batter only