- 0
Fair/Foul
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3261 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question
Guest Carl
I need to confirm that I have the fair/foul basics correct. I am a LL coach and was running a fall ball practice and all of a sudden got unsure of myself on some of the subtleties of the rule. Nothing like teaching something to expose your lack of knowledge! Most of these I "know" are correct but I am including everything I can think of to make sure I am not relying on rules myths.
So, first a few general items that I think are correct:
1. The foul line and foul pole are in fair territory.
2. If any part of the ball is over or on any part of the foul line, it is in fair territory. So if a ball lands with most of it on the grass in foul ground and a small part of it on the white of the foul line, that is a fair ball.
3. For the purposes of when a ball is going over first or third base, the relevant part of the base is the corner that is closest to the foul line and closest to home plate.
4. A ball is judged fair or foul based on the position of the ball. Where a fielder is when he touches it is irrelevant.
Now, some situations to make sure I have it correct:
1. Ball hits ground in fair territory between home and first/third:
a. then goes past the base while still in fair territory, then hits foul ground -- fair ball.
b. then goes over the base, then hits foul ground -- fair ball, same as 1a. because of #3 above.
c. then goes into foul territory before reaching the base and either is touched by a fielder (or coach, umpire, on-deck batter, equipment, etc) OR settles in foul territory OR goes past the base in foul territory -- foul ball.
2. Ball is hit in the air and goes past first or third base while still over fair territory:
a. then first touches the ground (or a fielder, umpire, etc.) in foul territory -- foul ball?
b. then first touches the ground (or a fielder or umpire) in fair territory -- fair ball? (Duh.)
3. Home plate is in fair territory.
4. If a batter is hit by his batted ball while still in the batters box: it is a foul ball even if it actually hits a part of his body that is in fair territory.
5. If a batter touches his batted ball (like say a bunted ball down the first base line) what is the call if the ball is in fair territory? If it is in foul territory?
6. When a foul ball is not caught it is a strike (unless there are already two strikes), a dead ball and all runners return. But when a fielder catches a foul fly ball, it is an out and the ball is live so runners may advance (subject to tagging up as on a normal fair fly ball).
Top Posters For This Question
2
1
1
Popular Days
Oct 25
3
Oct 24
3
Top Posters For This Question
maven 2 posts
noumpere 1 post
ElkOil 1 post
Popular Days
Oct 25 2017
3 posts
Oct 24 2017
3 posts
Popular Posts
maven
I get what you're aiming at, but it's easier than this. If the bounding ball passes over the base (any part), then it's fair. Both are correct, although misleading. For a ball in the air (as op
5 answers to this question
Recommended Posts